Mold wants to drink my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley-Davidson

Reaction score
I saw a recent post about this so I shoulda known, but I’m kinda thick.

I was having trouble keeping my fermentation temps down, so I used the water bath t-shirt method. I worked great on the temps, but when I removed the t-shirt to rack to secondary, there it was….. MOLD!

Nasty little spots of mildew on the outside of my fermenter, crap. Sample tasted OK, so I don’t think it led to infection, but it can’t be a good thing.

Guess I’ll need to add bleach to the water from now on. Anyone else have this problem and find a better solution?

Barley-Davidson said:
I saw a recent post about this so I shoulda known, but I’m kinda thick.

I was having trouble keeping my fermentation temps down, so I used the water bath t-shirt method. I worked great on the temps, but when I removed the t-shirt to rack to secondary, there it was….. MOLD!

Nasty little spots of mildew on the outside of my fermenter, crap. Sample tasted OK, so I don’t think it led to infection, but it can’t be a good thing.

Guess I’ll need to add bleach to the water from now on. Anyone else have this problem and find a better solution?

The mildew is probably just on the outside because of the T-shirt...

Have you ever left cloths in the washing machine for too long? they get mildewed and that's probably what happened.

EDIT: take a clorox wipe (these thing rock) and just rub it away to ensure you don't get any in it...

I get mold on the outside of my carboy and under it from the condensation in my fermentation fridge, I just wipe it off a towel wet with sanitizer before I do anything else. It is kind of un-nerving to have it that close to your precious.

I would think bleach would be fine.

Barley-Davidson said:
I don't think you need a better solution.

I keep both primaries and secondaries in a shallow (restaurant bus tub) water bath, with a wet towel wrapped all the way around them. With just a tiny splash of bleach in each tub, I've never had even a hint of mold or mildew.

For as much bad press as it seems to get, common household bleach is awfully handy stuff.

BlindLemonLars said:
For as much bad press as it seems to get, common household bleach is awfully handy stuff.

If an asteroid was coming to devastate the earth and I could carry only one chemical with me to the safehouse, it would be bleach.

Latest posts

Back