Mold in washed yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradingbull

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Opened up a jar of washed WLP001 to make a starter for a weekend brew and noticed a few black moldy looking spots floating around. It was in 3 jars I had left. The yeast bed in the bottom looked clean and fine, the gunk was only in the liquid that would have been decanted. I took no pics.

I threw out the contents of all jars to start with a new vial. I am curious if anyone would or has used the yeast where only the decant liquid looked suspect but the cake looked fine, so I will get a feel if I was being overly cautious. I want believe it was wise to dump these.

If you know it was mold, I wouldn't take the chance personally.

Better safe than sorry. Much worse dumping a whole batch that costs $$$ instead of buying a new vial which costs $.

Agreed, I couldn't do it. Maybe on a small experimental batch, but not one that would hang around for a while.

how does the yeast smell? if it smells bad then throw it out

if not use what is good and make a starter and see what the starter wort tastes like

if it taste OK and the yeast smells good ( fresh) use it

just my two cents :)

all the best

S_M

I don't have an answer to your question, I am just wondering how long you had the washed yeast?

The yeast was only about 6 weeks old. Four weeks ago I used one jar from the same washing for a beer I just bottled up, there was no evidence of any problems when I used it and the beer seems fine. Hope it stays that way.

Back