Mold in secondsry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerryskid89

Reaction score
I did do a search so I ask for your forgiveness in advance if this has already been discussed. I brewed a nights
Cap cherry stout on April 22nd. I added frozen cherries to the boil. A second job and a newborn prevented me from being able to bottle this 5 gallon batch. I checked it yesterday and this is what I saw. It appears to be more of a bubble foam than anything solid. Am I screwed or is there still hope?

image-1392541055.jpg

Can you get a better pic, it's really blurry and glare-y. If it looks like just bubbles, it could just be Co2 that's come out of solution. Although without a clear pic it's hard to say. How does it taste? Smell?

Side Note: I grew up in Vernon Hills. Went to Hawthorne School's through Jr. High when we moved.

This is about as good as I can get. How long is too long for a brew to sit in secondary. The temp has been kept pretty consistent through that time and it has been kept dark. I want to bottle it if there is still hope!

I grew up in Woodridge and moved to Mundelein 4 years ago.

image-1953555620.jpg

You should be fine, I had a porter that looked like this only a few days into secondary. It scared the hell out of me. I decided to see it through and glad I did. The batch was great and everyone enjoyed it.

I'm sorry I cannot tell you exactly what it is, but you should be good to go.

Is that just bubbles, or is there a film on it? Just bubbles, probably gasses. Film, slime, etc., probably not good. Taste and smell is the most important thing. A spoiled brew will smell and taste spoiled. Also, how's the gravity? Has it stabilized since adding the fruit? Many infections will continue to ferment the sugars that the yeast left behind, lots of times resulting in an abnormally low FG, or a gravity that continues to slowly drop.
As far as time in secondary goes, I have a RIS that's been aging in secondary since late Jan. Clear as a bell on top, although there've been times where there were tiny bubbles from gasses escaping, but not since late spring when everything was warming up. I bottled a Burton ale about a month ago that sat in secondary since late March. Same deal, nothing on top.
Like I said, go with your senses and your hydrometer. If it tastes good, and the gravity is stable, it's good. If it tastes or smells funny, honestly, I'd personally let it go for some time to mellow, and until you know the gravity is stable. A sour cherry ale may be very good, even if you weren't trying to brew a sour to begin with.

edit: after seeing your latest pic, it doesn't look like anything I'd fret too much over.

I grew up in Woodridge and moved to Mundelein 4 years ago.

Funny, in '02, I moved back into a condo in VH right on Big Bear Lake. Lived there until 4 years ago when I moved up here

It's hard to say without seeing it in person... but it just looks like a lot of yeast to me. I've had plenty of batches that looked just like that and they came out fine. I do not think that is mold by any means.

That doesn't look like mold. Mold is more if a white fuzzy substance. That really looks like yeast rafts or even Krausen remnants.

That doesn't look like mold. Mold is more if a white fuzzy substance. That really looks like yeast rafts or even Krausen remnants.

I would agree with this. I brewed and Amber Ale for my first brew. It looked exactly like that and I was nervous as well. 5 weeks later, it tastes good. I think you are fine.

Not trying to steal anybodies thunder but when it comes to this revvy is the guy he can spot something wrong a mile a way! Oh wanna know something about your water ask yooper i swear he works at water company. You taste water explain it and will tell ya whats in it! :)

Latest posts

Back