Mold in sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthRiverS

Reaction score
Homebrewers,

I was brewing a batch of beer today. When I went to sanitize my equipment, I noticed several patches of mold on the inside of my sanitizing bucket below the solution level. Anyone else had this issue. I tossed the solution out. The sanitizer was Saniclean.

NRS

Homebrewers,

I was brewing a batch of beer today. When I went to sanitize my equipment, I noticed several patches of mold on the inside of my sanitizing bucket below the solution level. Anyone else had this issue. I tossed the solution out. The sanitizer was Saniclean.

NRS
I’m really not trying to “stir the pot” but my understanding of cleansing VS. sanitizing is that- 1- cleansers remove particulates and should therefore be rinsed to dispose of said particulates.
2- Sanitizers (StarSan) sanitize the cleansed container and do not require rinsing ( depending on the sanitizer of your your choice).
Therefore, cleanse, rinse, sanitize!

Once StarSan starts to turn cloudy it rapidly loosing it's sanitizing properties. Has something to do with how it's reacting to calcium. If your tap water is hard you have a very short window for Starsan to be effective. I've noticed when it's turns cloudy it leaves a slimy layer behind on things. Distilled water or RO is the best for keeping starsan around.

Latest posts

Back