Mold in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadS

Reaction score
Hi, I just finished brewing a black IPA in my SS brewtech fermeneter. This is my first one using stainless steel, and I cleaned it heavy with TSP first like suggested. I can’t tell if the black I’m seeing in here is from grains or mold growth? I sanitized it the best I could prior to brewing and there are no off smells. I did have to pop the lid completely off a week prior to kegging so I could dry hop it. Any advice on if it’s safe?

Attachments

• 93B0341E-D313-495D-9ADA-7ADAC3E1CCE1.jpeg
    93B0341E-D313-495D-9ADA-7ADAC3E1CCE1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
  • D32A5392-AAD8-4CB3-A2F6-04E1EA041F82.jpeg
    D32A5392-AAD8-4CB3-A2F6-04E1EA041F82.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
It's not mold and is very commonly reported by users of stainless fermenters (many brands). Most say it's machining oils that weren't fully cleaned off, others say it's happens when the hops or hop oils react with the stainless, and others say other things like the krausen compounds reacting to the stainless. Whatever it truly is I can say I've never personally had it negatively affect the beer. So if it is indeed machining oils it's not enough in a 5 gallon batch of beer to affect the taste. Some however have reported a taste. So either way, relax and don't worry about it.

Rev.

It's just the hop resins that your Kräusen deposited on the fermentor walls turning black as they oxidized. You might have noticed that there are none where the beer was thus preventing contact with oxygen. BTW it looks like you don't have much headspace and the Kräusen climbed all the way to the lid.

It's not mold and is very commonly reported by users of stainless fermenters (many brands). Most say it's machining oils that weren't fully cleaned off, others say it's happens when the hops or hop oils react with the stainless, and others say other things like the krausen compounds reacting to the stainless. Whatever it truly is I can say I've never personally had it negatively affect the beer. So if it is indeed machining oils it's not enough in a 5 gallon batch of beer to affect the taste. Some however have reported a taste. So either way, relax and don't worry about it.

Rev.
I had a little black slime in my kettle when I first used my grain mill (stainless rollers). It didn't taste like anything.

Back