Molasses Table Beer (small beer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This might end up problematic. Heating it up to 70 degrees c for pasteurisation would have been a good idea, but let's see how it goes. Half a gallon is drunken quickly anyway....

Time will tell. My water is good, the syrups are shelf stable and I dry hop all the time with the hops so I am not too worried. But we will see, it might be a mistake.

It will be interesting to see, I read all the time that beer was drunk in the past because the water wasn't safe (the alcohol killed the bad stuff), and the preservative properties of hops..... all of which sound a little suspect to me so maybe I am breeding some nasty bugs as we speak. As you say, 1/2 gal won't last long so on second thought we may never know ;)

It's still brewing.... been cold all my brews are moving slowly right now. I had a little taste of the no-boil brew. It's sort of "grassy"

I think it should finish soon.

I had to come back to this thread to say. I just did a side by side taste test of my George Washington inspired beer vs Budweiser Freedom Reserve.

Of course the verdict is that mine is better!

Mine has more body, more hops, and much more flavor. I can barely taste the molasses in the Bud product. Obviously I am biased but the interesting thing is that is that a 100% sugar beer holds up very well against a malt product.

My opinion about Freedom Reserve is that it is a step up from regular bug, more malty, better flavor. But it does have a bit of that budwiserness to it, if you know what I mean :) Not worth the gluten :)

For the record, these are my notes for the one that I compared with:

Molasses #10 (feb 3)
½ cup quinoa
½ cup corn
8oz molasses
20oz sugar syrup.
.75 cascade hops.

RedStar champagne yeast
2/18 rack and 4 cubes of oak
2/23 bottle

Last edited:
I'm back again.. I opened another bottle from a different batch with this recipe:

Molasses #11 (feb 25)
½ cup corn
½ cup oats
8oz molasses
16oz sugar
.75 oz cascade hops
redstar champagne yeast

4/29 bottle: At bottling it has a little spice flavor.

You can see from my notes that it fermented for a long time. I attribute that to cold weather, life, and other factors that aren't obvious. To me it tastes exactly like Leffe Blonde. It has got some banana, clove, coriander and I'm not sure what else (i'm working on my tasting note abilities).

Did I mention that it tastes like Leffe?

Back