Molasses in stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinnan5150

Reaction score
Am going to be brewing a stout with 10 pounds of grain. I want to add a pound of molasses to the boil. Is this too much, not enough or like Goldilocks, is it just right?

I think the answer would depend upon your desired effect from the molasses. Are you using it to enrich color, add mouthfeel, increase OG (and if so, are you hoping for higher alcohol/lower FG or just more sweet flavor?)...???

EDIT: According to the HBT wiki on adjuncts, molasses shouldn't exceed 5% of your grains/fermentables. A pound with 10 pounds of grains would be just over 9%. Just FYI.

Good to know. Thank you. I wanted to add it for both flavor and added fermentables. Sounds like I will need to go with about half a pound.

I used blackstrap molasses at a rate of .25#/ gallon in a brown porter (10bbls in a pub situation) and it had noticeable effect. I think you could use more in a stout, but I still wouldn't go above the .5# per gallon personally

Back