Molasses and sour taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNTurkey

Reaction score
I brewed a seasonal (Christmas) ale last December and was very disappointed in it. It had a distinctly sour taste that I originally attributed to a contamination in my equipment. Never was very happy with that explanation because the beers before and after were really good. I'm also careful about sanitization-not saying it can't happen, but it never has before that I know of.
A friend told me the other day that molasses can impart a sour taste. He said that after all the sugar from the molasses has been metabolized, the remaining flavor gives a sour note.
This is the first time I've brewed with molasses.The recipe is below-it includes blackstrap molasses at about 2.5% of the fermentable sugar.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

18# Pale Marris Otter
1 # Crystal 80L
.5# Black patent
Horizon hops 60'
Ginger powder .25 tsp.
Cinnamon powder 0.5 tsp
Allspice 1/8 tsp
Nutmeg 1/8 tsp
Wyeast 1028 London ale yeast
Molasses 8 fluid oz.

I've brewed with molasses once. It was a little odd, I don't know if sour is the best word for it, but I could definitely see it called that way.. Without tasting I can't say. Definitely in the list of potential culprits. If it fermented fine and didn't sit in primary too long, I would not think contamination. Is the water source one you've always used with good results?

You could ferment like a half-liter of 1.03 molasses water and taste it, see if it hints at what you're tasting..

No, molasses isn't sour, it's metallic. Taste it.

Contamination can happen randomly, even if you didn't do anything wrong.

Molasses has a lot of iron in it. Particularly blackstrap. Back in the mid 90's I brewed a Scotch Ale to which I added Molasses. It only became drinkable after about 8 months of aging.

I brewed a seasonal (Christmas) ale last December and was very disappointed in it. It had a distinctly sour taste that I originally attributed to a contamination in my equipment. Never was very happy with that explanation because the beers before and after were really good. I'm also careful about sanitization-not saying it can't happen, but it never has before that I know of.
A friend told me the other day that molasses can impart a sour taste. He said that after all the sugar from the molasses has been metabolized, the remaining flavor gives a sour note.
This is the first time I've brewed with molasses.The recipe is below-it includes blackstrap molasses at about 2.5% of the fermentable sugar.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

18# Pale Marris Otter
1 # Crystal 80L
.5# Black patent
Horizon hops 60'
Ginger powder .25 tsp.
Cinnamon powder 0.5 tsp
Allspice 1/8 tsp
Nutmeg 1/8 tsp
Wyeast 1028 London ale yeast
Molasses 8 fluid oz.
got a pic of that blackstrap molasses label? I'm thinking you maybe used one that wasnt "unsulphured" and maybe that was the source of the off - flavor.

Back