Modifying my equipment (BIAB?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terragady

Reaction score
Hi,

so I have build my small mash and boil pot. I wanted to stick with the BIAB method so I ordered a SS mesh basket. The first problem is already there, the guy made me too small backet so I ended up with too much space between pot and the basket. The problem is that I cannot load more than lets say 4kg of grain there...
During mashing I am using small pump to pump worth from bottom to the top (I actually was thinking to invert that?) and after boiling I have a hopstopper at the bottom which should filtrate all the stuff in there, which is doing pretty ok but I had to learn how to use it (slow drain and keep the end below the worth to avoid airing the tubing).
I am using plate chiller to chill the worth directly before the fermenting bucket.

Efficiency is not great... I get something like 60%-65%

Now what do you suggest me to modify here? Order a proper mesh basket? With bigger size? or make some bottom and use a mesh bag and stay like this?
Or modify it for a classical method so add stirer-stirer (i have engine already) and add filtration tubing, do a filtration, empty pot from grain and do a boiling with hopstopper attached? That would be the best I think but It will extend the brewing time and I will need a filtration system + the stirer. But in that way I could use more grain and efficiency would be the best I guess? What is your opinion? :))

BTW it is not on the pics bur for the newest batch I used a craftbeerpi controller which worked quite nicely.

PS. Sorry if it is in wrong forum, didnt know where I should exactly put that question.

DSC00793.jpg

DSC00792.jpg

DSC00791.jpg

DSC00790.jpg

DSC00794.jpg

DSC00795.jpg

DSC00796.jpg

DSC00797.jpg

DSC00798.jpg

DSC00799.jpg

DSC00800.jpg

DSC00801.jpg

DSC00802.jpg

DSC00803.jpg

DSC00804.jpg

DSC00805.jpg

DSC00806.jpg

DSC00807.jpg

msg-4201-0-89824200-1460306463.jpg

msg-14618-0-42350000-1461376477.jpg

that looks like a pretty nice compact system you've got going. what is your goal of improving it? if you want to make more beer at once, get a bigger pot, that looks like it holds maybe 15-20 L (about 4 gallons). I'd jump to a 40L pot if your electric stove can handle it. Is the heater a separate unit? Biab is a good inexpensive option if you do go with a larger pot...

This is 27L.
Improving to get more space for grain (currently there is too much free space od the sides - between basket and the pot) and/or better efficiency. Probably if I will go for classical method with stirrer-agitator and normal filtration I can get quite nice efficiency and volumes.

I would try a biab. Then you get full use of the pot and with the fine mesh of the cloth you can double grind your grains and increase the efficiency. I've have both the brew bag and the wilserbrewer bag, and i highly recommend the wilserbrewer bag. It looks like youre outside the us, but somehow shipping can be done.

As rightly mentioned, wilserbrewer bag can do and are easy make.. With some stitching skills you can do at home.

I have done same for my small batches for ease of pulling it out and avoid runny mash due to constraint dead space of brew bag.

Any thin cotton material will do and lasts almost 10 batches... And cost just $3 USD when DIY.

Nice set up. A quick solution would be to replace the basket and a mesh bag. The lads at Brew in a Bag would probably be pleased to hook you up. :) Cheers

Going to add another vote for the bag. You can grind as fine as you like (my grind is borderline flour) and it works great.

As well, extended mash may help with your numbers. The last two batches I made ended up having 1.5 and 2hr mashes due to circumstances outside brewing and my usual 80-82% went to 85 and 88.

Back