Modifying extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FujiVT

Reaction score
I got the session citra pale recipe kit for Xmas from More Beer, and was toying with making some modifications. Thoughts/Help greatly appreciated.

Original recipe.

6# ultralight lme
1# Crystal 10
4 oz Maltodextrin
.5 oz magnum @60
1 oz Citra @10
2 oz Citra @0
1 oz Citra DH post ferm

My plan was to add 2# dry Light DME
And the following hops:
1 oz Simcoe @0
1 oz Simcoe DH post ferm
1 oz Simcoe DH post ferm + 5.

I'm using London III.

Beersmith says to this looks ok stylistically, but am a little concerned about sweetness and body. This is my second brew if that means anything. I'm shooting for a hop forward pale ale in the New England style.

I love Citra pale ales, so am biased that way but if it were for my tastes, I wouldn't add Simcoe to it. The extra DME will increase the strength of the beer, the malt backbone, but you're not adding much/any bitterness to balance against that increase. If it were me, I'd brew the kit as is before making any changes in subsequent brews.

Did London III come with the kit? I'd probably use a yeast that offers a clean, American-style flavor profile.

All of that being said, it looks like an interesting experiment and that's the cool thing about brewing - experimenting!

London III did not come with the kit, I'm trying to get away from the classic American ale.

My last brew was the American ale kit using 7 lbs of the same LME and 1 lb Crystal 15L hopped marginally with Cascade and while true to style and very drinkable, I found it a tad too nutty/caramel for my Vermont taste

Latest posts

Back