Modelo Especial Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyb15

Reaction score
So, my wife's favorite beer is modelo especial. I have found plenty of the negra recipes but no so much on the especial. I have tried a few vienna lagers, some of which were good, others not so much, but none were quite like the especial. I found this on brewtoad

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/modelo-especial-clone-2012-03-17-version

Anybody ever tried to do an especial clone or brewed something similar?

Thanks!

Sorry, can't speak from experience, have never tried to clone this. I wouldn't call Modelo Especial a Vienna Lager, perhaps. Negra Modelo, Dos Equis Amber, and Victoria are Vienna Lagers from Mexico, and in the US, Boston Lager from Sam Adams is a very good Vienna Lager.

To me, Modelo Especial is somewhere between a Pilsner and a Light American Lager. The recipe you linked to will yield a beer that is too dark for what you are looking for, I think.

" Modelo Especial is a pilsner-style lager whose original recipe was first brewed in Mexico in 1925, under the vision to create a ‘model’ beer. Since its introduction to the U.S. in the 1990s, Modelo Especial has grown organically from the ground up, gaining its status from below via bodegas, convenience stores, and word-of-mouth."

This is from Modelo site. Model is not a Vienna Lager.

I have made lots of Mexican Lagers using the Modelo strain of yeast that is sold as Mexican Lager Yeast. it is a great easy strain. My Mex lagers are 90% 2 Row and 10% rice flakes or corn flakes. Mash 150. Super simple. Chicks dig it.

" Modelo Especial is a pilsner-style lager whose original recipe was first brewed in Mexico in 1925, under the vision to create a ‘model’ beer. Since its introduction to the U.S. in the 1990s, Modelo Especial has grown organically from the ground up, gaining its status from below via bodegas, convenience stores, and word-of-mouth."

This is from Modelo site. Model is not a Vienna Lager.

I have made lots of Mexican Lagers using the Modelo strain of yeast that is sold as Mexican Lager Yeast. it is a great easy strain. My Mex lagers are 90% 2 Row and 10% rice flakes or corn flakes. Mash 150. Super simple. Chicks dig it.

Perfect, thanks for the info!

"

Just curious, what hops do you usually use in your mex lagers?
Think Bittering with magnum the rest with saaz would sound right?

I think the hops are probably either hallertau or tettnang. I had one last week, and didnt get any saaz spiciness, just some herbal grassiness. It also isn't as adjunct-y as corona, so id keep it to 10-15% adjunct.

Back