Mixing 1388 & 3787?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymurnaut

Reaction score
Um... Did I screw up?

I purchased the patersbier all-grain kit from Northern Brewer. It arrived this past Saturday.

I wanted to brew on Sunday, but since the yeast (Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity) didn't arrive until I got the kit on Saturday, I wouldn't have a big enough starter ready the next day.

So, I decided to to take a trip across town after the kids' soccer and softball games. By the time I got there, I had forgotten the number and name of the 3787, but I was almost positive it was the Belgian Strong Ale (Wyeast 1388). I mean they're both Belgian, and they both are for high-gravity Ales, right? :cross:

Ok, long story short, I had 2 smack packs, now, and by the time I got home and realized that I had picked up the wrong yeast, It was too late. So, I smacked them both on Saturday Afternoon.

Sunday evening I pitched both of the swollen packs into the patersbier (which I doctored with 8 oz of belgian candi syrup, and 12 oz of clover honey)

So... Did I screw up? Will only one of the strains survive? Will they create something completely funky and undrinkable?

Today is Monday, and it's steadily chugging along at ~72deg with a 1 1/2' krausen. I did use FermCapS. My fear is that I didn't pitch enough. Especially if one of the strains kills of the other. Does that happen with yeasts?

Thanks for any help! :fro:

My guess is that it will be good. They will probably both duke-it-out for awhile in the fermenter and you'll probably get characteristics of both. One might attenuate a little bit more but they wont kill each other resulting in you underpitching... Worst-case scenario is that this will be your best beer and now you're going to have to buy 2 packs of yeast each time you brew it!

actually...Top crop some of that yeast and save it.. though the population will likely shift toward one of the other strains after a few generations. I would still do it :)

You'll be fine. Both will survive and both will lend their appropriate characteristics to the brew. I've brewed with both already over the years, but never together. I think you will have something good here. Keep us posted.

What was the OG? Generally, it is always better to make a starter with liquid yeast rather than pitching multiple packs. I know you said you didn't have time, but I personally would have put off brewing for another week just to have the starter ready.

Thanks to all! I'll keep you posted. No change from last night.

BTW... the O.G. was 1.050.

Probably should have waited another week. I'm doing that with a Dry Irish Stout starter that I began this past Saturday. But I wanted to get this done by the end of May for when my father comes up to visit. He hasn't had any of my homebrew in years and he's not one for big hoppy beers. All I have in the keg right now is the Surly Furious kit beer, and the last of an earlier DIS, that I'll bottle off and save for later.

Woops, correction... 1.052 OG. Forgot to correct for temp when I took it @80deg F.

BTW... Still little to no change. Krausen size, and bubble rate are remaining the same. It might be of interest that there is very little yeast cake or yeast in suspension. Most all of it is in the dense krausen. I believe that the 1388 is more prone to do this than the 3787... May mean either that the 1388 is muscling in on the majority of the fementables early on before the the 3787 will have a chance, or maybe the 3787 is yet to shine. Somewhat sadly, I'm willing to bet the former.

zymernaut, how did this beer turn out?

I've got a few slurrys of 1388 and 3787 saved and I am considering co-pitching them into a tripel in a few days. Anybody else out there have any feedback on using these strains together? did they play nice? did one dominate? flavors?

Back