Mixed Drinks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesy_Goodness

Reaction score
Let's hear some of your fancy-pants mixed drink recipes.
Extra points if you're brave enough to share the really girly ones.

For my money, I love some OJ and Captain.

Let's hear em :tank:

I think it's called a dirty Palmer
Lemonade ice tea and vodka
It's awesome IMO

I haven't had a mixed drink in 30 years but back in the day I had 4 that I liked:
Whiskey Sour
Tequila Sunrise
Mai Tai
Long Island Iced Tea

I tried others but these were what I liked and I stuck with them. Now, I've suddenly got a hankering for a mixed drink

Brandied lemonade
4 cups of sugar
3 cups of lemon juice
4 1/2 cups of water
3 1/2 cups of white wine (9% to 12% abv)
1 1/2 cups of brandy (80 proof).

I was big into cocktails long before I knew that non-BMC beers existed.

Some old favorites:

The Last Word:
1 part gin
1 part lime juice
1 part maraschino liqueur
1 part green chartreuse

Wet Martini:
3 parts gin
1 part sweet vermouth
2 dashes orange bitters
Spray of lemon oil
Garnish with a cherry

Cognac Manhattan:
2 parts cognac
1 part sweet vermouth
2 dashes celery bitters

And the best hangover cure I've ever discovered, a half ounce of Peychaud's bitters in a glass of club soda.

This is as fancy as I will make one at home.

Jack and Coke: equal parts

If im feeling adventurous, vanilla coke

Classic Honest-to-God Daiquiri - manly enough for Hemingway.

Another 2:1:1 traditional sour like the Margarita.

1.5 oz white rum/rhum
.75 oz 1:1 simple syrup
.75 oz fresh squeezed lime
1 dash Angostura bitters (optional)

Shake and serve up in a cocktail glass. Drink quickly. Repeat.

Best to use white rums from French colonies. They seem "greener" and more vegetal. Rhum Agricole from Martinique if you choose to afford it.

Adjust syrup/lime ratio to taste. I prefer maybe 1 oz lime to 1/2 oz syrup instead of the even portions in the recipe.

Swap gin for the rum, garnish with mint and I think it's called a "southside". Darn tasty!

Vincent's Ruin

2 oz. Bulleit Bourbon
.75 oz St. Germain
.75 oz Simple Syrup
1 oz Lemon Juice
5 drops Fee's orange bitters.

Take a rocks glass, rinse inside of glass with 1 tsp absinthe (throw absinthe out afterwards, or leave in, depending on your taste preferences.) Add ice to rocks glass with a lemon twist. Add rest of ingredients to a cocktail shaker, add ice, shake the $hit out of it, strain into glass. Enjoy.

Black Gin

1 1/2 oz gin
1/2 oz black sambuca
2 tsp sweet vermouth

Shake ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass.

Simply awesome if you like the ingredients!!

American - Jack and Coke.

Whiskey sours and daiquiris too. Add frozen margaritas, no salt. Any flavor but, not beeritas.

Oil Slick
Equal parts Jager and peppermint schnapps.

Cape Cod. The only vodka drink I like.
Cranberry juice in a tumbler with a shot or two of vodka.

Amaretto sour. My wife loves them.

2 parts dr. Pepper 1 part captain Morgan's private stock.
A real Long Island iced tea.
Mango margaritas.
Strawberry daiquiris.

Edit: also love a good Mexican flag, it's a "shooter" though.

Half a glass of vodka, fill rest with ice throw in blender and add kool aid mix till its good....blue rasberry lemonade is the prefered kool aid mix

Half a glass of vodka, fill rest with ice throw in blender and add kool aid mix till its good....blue rasberry lemonade is the prefered kool aid mix

Damn! I remember those from Ewa Beach on Oahu back in the late 70s. I forgot all about that, thanks for stirring the old memory box!

Scotch and ice
Bourbon and ice
Butterscotch mudslide equal parts butterscotch schnapps irish cream and Kahlua either pour over ice or put in blender with ice

Anything with tequila and hot peppers/hot sauce. Well, and some sort of mixer; I firmly believe that the Prairie Fire was invented when a bartender failed to poison a particularly egregious customer.

Dark n' Stormy, which is rum and ginger beer (the spicy gingery stuff, not ginger ale).

I love a Rye Manhattan 2/3 bourbon, 1/3 Sweet vermouth, a few shakes of bitters, with a bourbon marinated cherry.

And a Vesper- 1/3 Gin, 1/3 Vodka, 1/3 Lillet.

Blended Margarita- 1/3 tequila, 1/3 triple sec, 1/3 lime juice, blend super thick.

Rocks Margarita- 1/2 tequila, 1/4 triple sec, 1/4 lime juice, on the rocks.

Big fan of Mai Tais, have to get real Orgeat syrup, though. 1 lime (fresh) 1/2 oz orange Curacao (not blue) 1/4 oz simple syrup 1/4 oz Orgeat syrup (almond syrup.. Amaretto syrup)1.0 oz DARK JAMAICA rum 1.0 oz Martinique rum (very bold taste) fresh mint Garnish fruit Stick Garnish.

And good old frozen fruit with rum. girly enough?

I do love a mint julep on a nice hot summer day as well.

3 ounces smooth bourbon whisky
.5-1.5 oz simple syrup to taste
5 - 10 fresh mint leaves

Muddle the mint and simple together vigorously in a tall glass, but do not shred the mint, top with bourbon and add 2/3rds a glass of ice crushed fine as snow. Stir to combine, top the glass off with more ice, wipe the glass off, stir until a thick frost forms on the outside of the glass, then top with even more ice and a sprig of slapped mint.

How about an orange creamcicle.... drinking my fourth right now it's just half and half mix of vanilla vodka and orange soda

French Martini: Vodka, pineapple juice, lemon twist with the Chambord layered onto the bottom.

Gin & lemonade, sort of a variation on the lemon drop. Kamikaze, but it has to have some "bite" to it, usually this comes from extra vodka & frozen lime juice concentrate, thawed but not reconstituted.

I used to make an awesome jungle juice, but it varied a little every time I made it. Mostly it was various tropical fruits like pineapple, mango, oranges, lemons, limes, etc... sliced or chunked & soaked in either vodka or everclear overnight. Add the fruit & booze to "Hi-C fruit punch" or "Hawaiian Punch" & add everclear till you can just barely taste it. The key to this is to chill the juice & fruit as low as you can without freezing; the colder it is, the more booze you can put in the mix without tasting it. Always serve over ice! I usedto make trashcans full of this stuff. Most people were feeling pretty good after 1 solo cup. :)
Regards, GF.

I used to make an awesome jungle juice, but it varied a little every time I made it. Mostly it was various tropical fruits like pineapple, mango, oranges, lemons, limes, etc... sliced or chunked & soaked in either vodka or everclear overnight. Add the fruit & booze to "Hi-C fruit punch" or "Hawaiian Punch" & add everclear till you can just barely taste it. The key to this is to chill the juice & fruit as low as you can without freezing; the colder it is, the more booze you can put in the mix without tasting it. Always serve over ice! I usedto make trashcans full of this stuff. Most people were feeling pretty good after 1 solo cup. :)
Regards, GF.

Oh God... that sounds like what we used to make in college. You left out the part about the epic hangovers that stuff could cause. Oy.

For my money, I love some OJ and Captain.

I think I have found my brother. I used to drink this all the time, but eventually grew out of it. Whenever I would recommend it to people, I would get the most godawful looks and comments about how it would be too sweet. You, sir, are the only other person beside my father who I know enjoys this concoction from the heavens.

Lately, when I'm not drinking beer, I've been into White Russians and Cuba Libres. Nothing too fancy, but I will say that I make my own kahlua. That's gotta count for something.

Directions for constructing the PERFECT Bombay Sapphire Gin Martini...

1. Fill martini glass with ice
2. Pour in Bombay Sapphire Gin
3. Deposit ONE bleu cheese-stuffed olive
4. Whisper the words "d-r-y v-e-r-m-o-u-t-h" near the glass
5. Consume and enjoy!

glenn514:mug:

Tequila and Tonic. I always get weird looks when I order them though. It is like a less sweet margarita. I like the flavor of tequila.

Here's a couple that I like in the summer when it's good and hot outside:

The first one here is from the BVI

Pain Killer
1 1/2 oz Dark Rum
1 1/2 oz Light Rum
4 oz orange juice
4 oz pinapple juice
1-1 1/2 oz cream of coconut
shake well, pour over ice cubes, sprinkle w/ fresh grated/ground nutmeg on top

Alternate Cuba Libre
Gold or Dark Rum
Gingerale
Ice

I think I have found my brother. I used to drink this all the time, but eventually grew out of it. Whenever I would recommend it to people, I would get the most godawful looks and comments about how it would be too sweet. You, sir, are the only other person beside my father who I know enjoys this concoction from the heavens.

Lately, when I'm not drinking beer, I've been into White Russians and Cuba Libres. Nothing too fancy, but I will say that I make my own kahlua. That's gotta count for something.

:mug:
Plus the OJ has plenty of Vitamin C so it's practically healthy almost.

Care to share your kahlua recipe? My in-laws tried it once and couldn't get it to come out quite right.

I saw the 'homemade Kahlua comment' and thought dang, we do that too, also Amaretto.

Kahlua ingredients
1 1/2 cups of firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup of granulated white sugar
2 cups of water
1/2 cup of instant coffee granules
2 tablespoons of pure vanilla extract
3 cups of your favorite (quality) vodka

Combine the brown sugar and the granulated white sugar in a pot.
Add the water and stir, bringing it to a boil and boil 5 minutes while stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and gradually add the coffee granules, stir constantly!
Cool the mixture for 10 - 20 minutes.
Add vanilla and vodka and mix thoroughly.
Pour into jars or bottles with lids and seal well.
Let the Kahlua stand for 3 or 4 weeks.
Refrigerate after opening.

Amaretto ingredients
1 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups vodka
2 tablespoons almond extract
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Put the water, the white sugar and the brown sugar in a saucepan.
Heat the mixture over medium heat until the mixture is boiling and the sugar is dissolved.
Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
Stir in the vodka, the almond extract and the vanilla.
Store in a bottle or jar, sealed well.
Let the Amaretto stand for 2 or 3 weeks.
Refrigerate after opening.

1 1/2 oz good tequila
1 1/2 oz fresh-squeezed lime juice
1 oz simple syrup
3/4 oz Patron Citronge.

Shake and strain over ice. Best margarita I've ever had - just be careful. That's a lot of liquor for one drink and these go down way too easy.

:mug:
Plus the OJ has plenty of Vitamin C so it's practically healthy almost.

Care to share your kahlua recipe? My in-laws tried it once and couldn't get it to come out quite right.

1.5 cups white sugar
1.5 cups brown sugar
10 Tbsp instant coffee
4 cups of water
8 oz. light Karo syrup
3 Tbsp vanilla extract

Combine all of this and simmer for about an hour. It should start thickening up a little. Remove from the heat, cool to room temperature, and add a fifth of 100 proof vodka. My recipe calls for aging, but I've found that it tastes just fine immediately. Refrigeration after opening not required.

Other people have used dark Karo syrup with equal results. I can't taste a difference, but some can. We've experimented with putting caramels into the boil, and while it did change the flavor in a very interesting way, it also made for a lot of froth on the top that needed to get skimmed before cooling, and it also made some kind of "plug" in the bottle. I don't know if it was emulsification of fats from the caramel or what, but it was just really annoying every time I busted out a new bottle. I just assumed I didn't skim off enough of the froth.

I also typically do a double batch so I can use the whole bottle of Karo and not have to keep it in my fridge. It's the only thing I EVER use it for. And on that note, this year, I am going to experiment with using ever clear in place of the vodka and see if it makes a difference. Aside from the alcohol content, that is.

Pain Killer
1 1/2 oz Dark Rum
1 1/2 oz Light Rum
4 oz orange juice
4 oz pinapple juice
1-1 1/2 oz cream of coconut
shake well, pour over ice cubes, sprinkle w/ fresh grated/ground nutmeg on top

Got quite smashed off of these in the BVI. Pour quality (haha poor quality, but not really) definitely varies by island.

My house Old-Fashioned - spent some time getting this right for my wife and I, and adapted for not always having oranges around:

In an old fashioned glass:
One spoon (probably a tablespoon, I use our silverware) of simple syrup
One spoon maraschino cherry juice
two spoons orange juice
one or two maraschino cherries
dash of bitters (to liking)

Muddle this mix up

Add some ice cubes, add 1-2 oz bourbon (again, to liking)

Stir.

More ice and some soda water, stir

Repeat last until glass is full, and drink is well mixed.

Enjoy!

White Russians and Bloody Marys are my two favorite mixed drinks. A good bloody is especially delicious.

I love mixed drinks. Sometimes I like to mix drinking beer with eating food or doing hobbies. Once in a while I'll even mix two different beers! *MIND BLOWN*

Latest posts

Back