Mixed Berry Cobbler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wraithraider

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I am working on trying to put together a mead recipe that will taste like a mixed berry cobbler. I've got about 12 pounds of mixed fruit ready to go, but wondering what I can use to get that nice warm cobbler kinda flavor to go with it. I was thinking something simple like brown sugar, but didn't know if that would be enough. So I'm asking for some collective wisdom on what people have tried in the past that may have worked for them, even if it was by mistake. Thanks.

I think you might try cooking the parts of the honey to get some caramel flavors

I have a batch of apple pie mead that i set last night. I cooked half of the honey for about 20 minutes then added apples and the rest of the honey and water. (and yeast)

Its bubbling right now and smells great

I boiled it with a small amount of water on high heat for 20 minutes in a big pot. When I say big I mean big. About 3 times the volume of the honey. It will foam allot.

Doing that will make you lose some honey tones but gain caramel flavors.

Greetings all,

I am working on trying to put together a mead recipe that will taste like a mixed berry cobbler. I've got about 12 pounds of mixed fruit ready to go, but wondering what I can use to get that nice warm cobbler kinda flavor to go with it. I was thinking something simple like brown sugar, but didn't know if that would be enough. So I'm asking for some collective wisdom on what people have tried in the past that may have worked for them, even if it was by mistake. Thanks.

A little Victory malt will give you a warm, bisquit flavour; sort of like the crust part of a cobbler. You might also add a split vanilla bean to you secondary to sort of tie all the flavours together without being obviously vanilla.
Regards, GF.

How much would you recommend? This is intended to be a five gallon batch, with the fruit going in during secondary ferm.

I'd say start with 1 lb or less; you want it to be noticable without dominating. You'll need to do a "mini-mash" with the Victory, 156* for 30-45 mins should do the trick.
Regards, GF.

Thanks for the technique. I've only just made my first braggot last weekend and only used malt extracts. I haven't monkied around mashing grains yet.
Appreciate the input.

Just racked this mead a second time. It's finishing drier than expected but tastes like a Shiraz from all the fruit. Can a flavor profile sweeten up of left to age longer? This is still quite young.

I wouldn't boil the honey. If you boil the fruit for 10-15 minutes, the pectin will thicken the juice. It will also give it a haze, which may not be acceptable to some people.

Back