Missed my OG, need to bump it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MileHighBrewer

Reaction score
First time I've ever undershot my gravity. Aimed for 1.049 ended up 1.037. New system, 2nd brew on it, used 22% rye, strike was hotter then intended...you know, typical brew day on a new system lol.

This is a rye saison. My thoughts are to add some DME and/or sugar. I'm thinking 1lbs DME and 1lbs turbinado sugar. Plugging this in to BF this nets me 1.048.

What I am thinking, is to add this into primary in a few days. I have read of people doing this with various Belgian styles to get the yeast up and running before bombarding them with easily fermentable sugars.

Should I maybe just do all sugar? Either way 2lbs ends up being 12.3% of my fermentables total.

If I go with a mix...any suggestions on the sugars to add? I have done this recipe before but this time I omitted the Munich just to play around...maybe 1lbs Munich DME? I have some crystal amber on hand but not sure how much. That is what I use for my starters.

Going Munich/Turbinado keeps my SRM pretty close. This is supposed to be a crisp easy drinking 5-ish % beer, but if I ferment as is, I will net like 3.8%

1 lb of sugar is a lot for a beer of that gravity range; personally I wouldn't use that much. Half a pound should dry out the beer sufficiently, if that's what you are going for. DME is the best coarse of action. I use DME when I need to meet a target OG that has been missed and with great effect. It doesn't flavor the beer much and provides the agreeable sugars yeast love to turn into tasty beer. The type of DME is up to you, but for the least impact a pale or extra pale DME is the way to go.

All the options you mention are possible. Saisons are open to variation.
DME might not ferment out dry and the sugar would solve that. Sugar could be added to the boil just fine, or later if you want to go that route, but it isn't necessary. IMO Munich DME is too malty for a beer driven by yeast flavors and hops/spice. Simple is better, and will more likely feature the spiciness of the rye.
Let us know what you do and how it turns out.

I just did a calculation on Beersmith for you. assuming you have 6.5 gallons of wort collected in your brew kettle,(which is allowing for evaporation, loss of trub, blah , blah, blah) you will need 1.8 lbs of DME OR 2.2 lbs of LME. I WOULD NOT add sugar...but that's me.

I just did a calculation on Beersmith for you. assuming you have 6.5 gallons of wort collected in your brew kettle,(which is allowing for evaporation, loss of trub, blah , blah, blah) you will need 1.8 lbs of DME OR 2.2 lbs of LME. I WOULD NOT add sugar...but that's me.

as stated, I would stay away from sugar also. a few assumptions here that I can't seem to make a guess to what I would do.
Like what was/is your ending volume?
that would answer a few of the questions I have. If it didn't boil off enough, explains it. If it boiled off too much, then your numbers should be higher.
Was this AG?
Well, the more I think about it the more questions I have, so maybe I will stop with the couple I asked.
Or it's possible I haven't had enough coffee yet.

Just curious why every one is so averse to sugar? I'm not talking white table sugar, btw. Fairly common addition in lots of Belgian styles. I have used cane sugar and turbinado a few times, but I've only tried it in the boil

as stated, I would stay away from sugar also. a few assumptions here that I can't seem to make a guess to what I would do.
Like what was/is your ending volume?
that would answer a few of the questions I have. If it didn't boil off enough, explains it. If it boiled off too much, then your numbers should be higher.
Was this AG?
Well, the more I think about it the more questions I have, so maybe I will stop with the couple I asked.
Or it's possible I haven't had enough coffee yet.

Ending volume was a bit under 8, probably 7.75 (target was 8) so its more crappy efficiency. I reworked my numbers in brewers friend and its showing around 57-60%. BUT saying that, I should have had more initial volume at the pre-boil AND boiled off more.

I have added sugar/DME 3-4 days after fermentation. It will take off within minutes of adding. I boiled DME/sugar with some water then poured it in hot. The heat instantly dissipates, I don't think it hurts the yeast or you could let it cool. I once added DME dry and never had an issue but wouldn't risk it.

Well one benefit of no-chill brewing is I have wiggle room on this. I could for example, go to the LHBS and get some DME and sugar, boil it, chill and add it to the carboy THEN add the wort in so I'm starting fermentation at the desired gravity...or wait and add it after primary has kicked off.

Last night I did the last step up of the yeast and I used 1200ml of left over wort from last nights brew (400ml 1.020 DME then 700ml of 1.030 DME and last night 1200ml RWS) and its going ape-poo on the stir plate. Yeast was from July 2013, Wyeast 3725pc

Something I just remembered....I didn't pull this grain myself. I bribed the girl that part times the lhbs with beer to do it for me while I had a beer. My grain bill might have been totally off. That might explain going from 75% to 58-60% without changing my process

I wouldn't hesitate to use up to one pound of sugar and supplement with DME for any extra fermentables you need and would suggest extra light dme as it has the least flavor impact and is the most fermentable. I like my Saison's very dry as do most for the style. I have added fermentables both pre and post fermentation with no issue either way, but in this situation I would wait untill it starts to make sure the yeast tackles the wort sugars before the simple sugars you plan to add. Just my 2 cents.

Back