Missed Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBeisbol

Reaction score
I'm brewing a all-grain porter for the first time. Per the recipe the OG was expected to be 1.052; I measured 1.046....and the FG was expected to be 1.014 & I've got 1.025. It's been holding steady at 1.025 in the secondary for over a week now. I used 9 lbs of Marris Otter, 1.5 lbs of chocolate malt & 0.5 lbs Caramunich. It's tasting pretty good, but should I be concerned about the missed gravity readings? What could have possibly gone wrong?

If you mashed on warm end that will give you more unfermentable sugars and a higher FG.
The usual advise is to check your thermometer.

There are a lot of reasons the OG could be low, usually a poor crush is the culprit.

1.046 is not horrible, I wouldn't sweat that.
If it tastes good..... :D

The mash was at 152F. I tried running an iodine test after an hour but because the wort was so dark, I couldn't tell if the starch was completely converted. The grain crush was a little suspect; it looked as though I could have used a finer crush. Thanks for your input.

Back