Missed gravity on Belgian IPA - candy syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopTonger

Reaction score
I had a misadventure of a brew-day - missed my gravity on a split-batch American IPA and Belgian IPA - 7gal boil, water-back two fermenters to 5gal each. Gravity just cracked 1.050 and should have been 1.060+
I can do the American IPA as a session, but the Belgian- has anyone added Belgian candy syrup directly to the fermenter, unboiled? Just pop the gas lock and squeeze it right in? Thoughts?
Or just do both as Session....

I would just heat the sugar to 170*F with a little boiled water and add it to the fermenter after it cools to ambient temperature. Dosing like that is actually pretty common.

If you've got the syrup, I'd just add it in, it'll be fine as it is made by beer people for beer and has been boiled prior to packaging.

If you don't have the syrup I'd boil up some sugar, as much as 12% of your gravity to be exact. Just add roughly the same amount of water as you do sugar, bring to a boil, cool, pour in fermenter or if boiling wort transfer from one boil to the other. You can probably push this to 15% of the gravity without a problem, but even that would only get you to 1.058 o.g. assuming you started at 1.050 on the nose.

Finally it wouldn't hurt to boil the belg. candy sugar either but just as with the table sugar, add water at about a 1:1 ratio.

Latest posts

Back