Missed FG. Workarounds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillc

Reaction score
I recently brewed what was supposed to be in Imperial IPA. Very malty and very hoppy. The goal was to be similar to a Stone Ruination. However, after the brew session with my new sparge setup, I missed my OG by quite a lot. It was supposed to be 1.084 and ended up at 1.066 (into the fermenter). This wouldn't be a big deal except for the huge pile of hops in the brew. 5oz of Magnum at 90 minutes, 4oz of centennial at 30 minutes, and 4oz of centennial dry hop at 1 week in the primary. That's 14oz of hops, folks, with a lot of bittering ones.

My worry is that this brew will be WAY too hoppy and bitter as compared to the malt profile. It was supposed to be pretty balanced. Tasting a recent gravity sample backs this worry up.

My idea: I am planning on ordering up enough of the same base grain used in the recipe to output about 2-3 gallons of high gravity wort (1.085 or above), adding that to the primary, and pitching another yeast starter of the same type of yeast used in the recipe to try and boost the malt profile of the brew.

The fly sparge setup I used is temporary because I haven't finished the permanent one for my new MLT. Needless to say, I won't be using it again.

I am seeking opinions on this idea...

When it's too low you add DME or (worst case but not out of style) sugar.

When it's too high, you dilute with water (or a a low grav beer).

When it's too low you add DME or (worst case but not out of style) sugar.

When it's too high, you dilute with water (or a a low grav beer).

This beer is actually already fermented. I would prefer to do a small mash/boil instead of using DME. Same thing really, but sticking to the all-grain theme.

To go from 5 gallons at 1.066 to 8 gallons at 1.084, you'll need 3 gallons at 1.114.

((8*84) - (66*5))/3

To go from 5 gallons at 1.066 to 8 gallons at 1.084, you'll need 3 gallons at 1.114.

((8*84) - (66*5))/3

Thanks! Can you explain your formula a little, please?

The final batch was 11.5 gallons, so using that:

((14.5*84)-(11.5*66))/3 = 1.153 Correct?

According to Beersmith (and assuming just 75% efficiency), this will take 16.8 lbs of 2-row to produce 3 final gallons with a 60 minute boil. Sound right?

3 Gallons is all that I have room for in my fermenter, and even that is going to push some krausen through the blow off...

This beer is actually already fermented. I would prefer to do a small mash/boil instead of using DME. Same thing really, but sticking to the all-grain theme.

If it's done fermenting, how does it taste? you might be better off letting this one be, and try to re-brew it.

If it's done fermenting, how does it taste? you might be better off letting this one be, and try to re-brew it.

It tastes like eating hops... :eek: I would like to try and fix it... It was fairly expensive, too. Like $102 with shipping.

Thats a lot of money for sure, have you bought from Hops direct yet? I started buying there after a $50 hop bill from my LHBS.

you might want to consider blending. Make another batch of some thing else, that is vary malty, and not high in IBU's. ferment them separately then blend the finished products.

also you just might have to age this beer for a little while till it gets to where you want it.

Thats a lot of money for sure, have you bought from Hops direct yet? I started buying there after a $50 hop bill from my LHBS.

you might want to consider blending. Make another batch of some thing else, that is vary malty, and not high in IBU's. ferment them separately then blend the finished products.

also you just might have to age this beer for a little while till it gets to where you want it.

I have not ordered from them yet, but will be soon. I want to brew a lot this winter, so I will probably just stock my freezer with several varieties soon.

That is an interesting idea with the blending... I may have to consider it. Fixing the current one could be a neat experiment, though, too!

I'm just starting to experiment with blending. I have a 10 gallon batch of a dark Belgian that I split in two, Half was kegged and put away, the other half has been souring for 5 months. Tonight I blended the two together, Its really good, then I thought lets try some apricot wit on top of that...Not so good. But its only one glass, not five gallons.

Latest posts

Back