Mismatching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboBrew

Reaction score
What would happen if I pitched ale or lager yeast in wheat wort? And less appealing sounding, what if I pitched weizen yeast into a batch of ale?

Normally I'd throw caution to the wind and try it out and see but after a few experimental batches that turned out...interesting, I figured I'd start sounding my ideas off here.

You'd have beer.

Look at the profiles of the yeast and match that with the profile of the hop you are using. Compare that with the fermentability of the wort and you should be able to discern what the beer might be like.

And remember that as fermentation temps warm the yeast character gets stronger in variable ways.

There are too many variable in a brew that alter the total peception to hang the beer on one basic ingredient that can be just as variable as the entire recipe.

Now, if you have a specific recipe you want critiqued with a particular yeast at a specific ferm temp we might be able to get more specific about what to expect as the result.

Back