Minimum Headspace on Fermenting Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ltkenbo

Reaction score
I picked up some food grade 2 gallon buckets with gasketed lids and am planning on using them as fermenters for smaller batches.

I was wondering what the minimum headspace is that I could probably get away with and not have overflow out of my airlock. If I can get away with 2 inches that would be ideal because that will give me 1.75 gallons which should give me a approximately 1.5 gallons of beer. Was wondering if that's too small - if so I was planning on doing 1.5 gallons then (3 inches of headspace). I know this will depend on the yeast, but was wondering people's opinions based on their experiences.

Temperature controlled fermentations, or no?
The 1.75g option is bound to convey more drama than home brewing should entail.
I'd go with the 1.5g option, and a blow-off hose...

Cheers!

Excellent.
The safest course would be to do a 1.5g batch and see how it goes, keeping in mind OG and yeast strain combinations can produce significantly different fermentations (eg: a 40 point wheat beer with 1010 is unlikely to run amuck whereas a 100 point imperial stout running on S04 can be volcanic ;))
If it looks like you could step up another quart on a comparable recipe, go for it on the next batch...

Cheers!

I have no issues with cold temp lager ferments - little head space needed. I would use a blow off tube for an ale yeast, 68F, 1.06 or greater OG. In fact I got tired of the blow off tube hassle and bought a speidel fermenter for IPAs. They come with a massive airlock.

Back