Minimum brew volume for larger conicals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
True to our breed, I am a gadget-obsessed home brewing mad scientist. I'm beginning to put an electric all-grain HERMS rig together and want the ability to brew 1bbl batches, though for a variety of reasons may want to brew smaller quantities. Obviously I can't brew 1bbl in a 20 gallon system, or at least I can't unless I make two batches. Any reason I couldn't brew 20 gallons in a 1bbl system? The primary limitation that I can think of would be the location of the thermo well in the conical fermenter. I'm trying to do my homework before I take the plunge. There's Blichmann, Stout, Brewhemoth, and Morebeer...any other stainless conicals that I should be considering?

Generally speaking, the lower limit, volume-wise for a Uni is about 1/2 working capacity. I would often do 8 +/-bbl batches into 16.5 bbl without issue. You're right about the thermo well, you need to be sure your beer level is above the probe. If this is a glycol or water cooled tank, you might want to close off the top jacket if the beer isn't going to reach that high. It won't really HURT anything if you don't it just conserves energy.

Latest posts

Back