mini mash ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

integra93ls

Reaction score
ok i have done a few extract kits and they came out great. i just ordered a kit from ahs and got it as a mini mash to try it out.

i have all the stuff to do extract.
now i was gonna go and pick up a 5 gal rubbermaid cooler from walmart(only $21) and ws gonna use that for the mini mash.

so my question is....

if i heat the water in my pot and then pour into the cooler with the grain will that work?
then have my sparge water in another pot then combine it into the cooler?
is that right?

my pots that i use are just regular turkey fryer pots and burner.

You are on the right track! I like this post, I get the feeling you are really trying to learn about the mashing process by getting a PM kit.

If you don't have a manifold or way to drain the cooler, you could line it with a large grain bag (or a 5 gal pain strainer from Home Depot). That way you grind up the grains (if they werent already milled), pour them in the cooler with the hot water (make sure you calculate strike temp), stir up really good, seal for an hour, lift the grain bag out, and sparge it!

i have ordered a grain bag as well.
so it would be fine to just heat my water in the pot then transfer into the cooler n let it sit for the hr. then sparge the grain bag in the pot then take sparge water from pot and add it to the cooler(or just add from the cooler to the sparge water in the pot.)

If you are trying to say what I think you are, then it sounds good.

Your basic procedure should be something like:
Heat up water
Add water to cooler and let sit for 10-ish minutes to preheat
Add grain(in bag) to water in cooler
Stir REALLY well
Seal and let sit for an hour
Drain liquid from cooler (you might need to lift the bag up to clear the valve)
Refill cooler with hot sparge water
Stir, and drain again

And the rest will be just like an extract batch. You can also add the grain to the cooler before the water, but if you don't preheat the cooler then your temperature will drop pretty fast at first. It seems like most people do water first now, but either way will work.

Back