Mini-mash + steeping in same pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebben

Reaction score
I'm going to be trying to make EdWort's Bee Ccave Porter later today, and have used beersmith to convert the recipe to extract. Once I did this, I saw that flaked barley shouldn't be used with extract recipes. So here I am with a partial mash plan.

Beersmith re-converted the original recipe to partial-mash, and put in about 2 pounds of 2 row pale malt. Good good. So since I've never done this technique, can y'all confirm if I'm on or way off here?

Beersmith snippet for 5.5 gallon batch/6.5 gallon boil
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.12 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 56.60 %
2.20 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 20.36 %
0.89 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.21 %
0.89 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 8.21 %
0.44 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.07 %
0.22 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.05 %
0.05 lb Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 0.49 %
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 8.4 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [9.50 %] (60 min) Hops 29.1 IBU
0.45 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 20.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale

I am thinking I'll mash the 2.2lbs pale malt + 1/2 pound flaked barley in approximately 150F water for [60 minutes], in approximately [3 quarts water] ? Since I have other grains that I would steep like with my previous extract+steeping grain batches, should I mash them with the 2lbs malt instead of steeping them separately? If so, I'm going to be putting roughly 2.75 pounds of grains in with the 2 pounds pale malt...does this increase my mash liquid volume requirement to 6.25 quarts?

As soon as I can figure out how much liquid I'll need to mash...and I haven't even thought about how much to use for sparging, I hope to follow Deathbrewer's stovetop partial mash guide.

Umm...Ok, I think I n00b'ed this one.

I just plugged in Single Infusion Batch Sparge into Beersmith. It calculated my grain weight at 4.7lbs and reports I'll need 5.86qt of 163.7F water for 45 minutes, and sparge with same amount of water at 168F ... does this sound about right?

That sounds about right, for 4 pounds of grain I use 5.5 quarts on the mash and 5.5 at the sparge, at 11 degrees hotter than I want the mash temp to be, and I usually hit the mash temp. Your numbers seem roughly on track with that. I mash steeping grains with the rest of the partial mash.

Although I heat the sparge water to 180, although that's just how I learned it originally, I hear that all you really need for the sparge is warmish water.

I know people are big fans of that stovetop guide but I can't say enough good things about using an unmodified 2 gallon Rubbermaid cooler for a mash tun with a grain bag.

Since I have other grains that I would steep like with my previous extract+steeping grain batches, should I mash them with the 2lbs malt instead of steeping them separately?

I think that's the standard procedure. At least it's what I do.

Latest posts

Back