Mini-Mash and temps while Steeping Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewProject

Reaction score
I got started brewing again today after about a year off...

I did my partial boil and mini-mash outside on a propane burner for the first time.

I bought a Vanilla Porter kit from AHBS and was supposed to steep at 45 mins @ 155 °F. However, I did not turn off the heat on my burner immediately when I started the steep. The temp climbed up to 180 °F before I shut off the heat. So it probably stayed at the temp for about 5-10 mins before it dropped off...

My question is; I haven't done my beer any harm, have I ??? I assume it's just fine, but just wanted to run it past you guys...

Thanks in advance :mug:

It will be okay. It is really hard to mess up beer. I personally would not have the grains in the pot while heating. I heat my water, add grains and put the pot in the oven for 90 minutes for a mini-mash. I preheat the oven to 200 (lowest setting) put in the pot and turn off the oven.

mrk305 said:
It will be okay. It is really hard to mess up beer. I personally would not have the grains in the pot while heating. I heat my water, add grains and put the pot in the oven for 90 minutes for a mini-mash. I preheat the oven to 200 (lowest setting) put in the pot and turn off the oven.

thanks for the reply, but my oven will not hold my pot from the propane burner kit (actually a turkey fryer).

Next time I will heat up to about 170 then cut off the heat and add the grains after it has cooled down 5 or 10 °F...

I assumed it would be okay... Looking forward to a Vanilla Porter in mid December :mug:

one thing I have noticed as i am trying to reach a boil is it takes longer on my propane burner than it did on my stove top.

However, with that said, I am doing a 3.5 gallon boil instead of 1.5 or 2...

Boil should start momentarily :ban:

Doesn't look the boil on the propane burner is gonna get all hurried and crazy like it did on the stove.

Turn your back on the stove for 20 seconds and boil over.

The propane burner seems much more relaxed. Don't have to stay right on top of it constantly. More time to sip a cold one and kick back...:tank: I LIKE IT !!!

depending on pH, you may have extracted some tannins at 180F...which would give an astringent off-flavor to the beer.

for now treat it like all is well, because you won't know until its done and bottle conditioned anyways.

malkore said:
depending on pH, you may have extracted some tannins at 180F...which would give an astringent off-flavor to the beer.

for now treat it like all is well, because you won't know until its done and bottle conditioned anyways.

thanks for the reply. keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get an astringent off-flavor.

Good news is the airlock was bubbling like crazy when I checked on it at noon today :rockin:

Latest posts

Back