Mini Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaklro

Reaction score
I know there are a million post here about mini Kegs and how it would be better to just go with the corny kegs in the long run, and about the ways people need to adjust the priming sugar.

My question is a little diffent. I have a kegging setup. so want I want to do is use theses for going out when I can't bring a full keg with. I want to fill them with carbinated beer from the kegs and bring them out boating or meetings ect.

Has anyone filled them with beer from kegs. and how did it work. did they stay carbinated. Filled ones will probably be drunk before the day or night is over.

So I was thinking of only using them for tavel. Or is there a better way to do that (travel).:mug:

Transferring is pretty easy. The trick is to keep pressure in the keg you're filling so that the CO2 doesn't go out of solution. I've done this between 2 cornies, but it would be the same between a sanke and a corny:

1) Pressureize the keg to be filled to the same pressure (or a touch more) that you're serving the full keg at.
2) Connect the liquid output of the full keg to the liquid side of the empty.
3) While maintaining the serving pressure on the full keg, slowly bleed the pressure from the emtpy keg until full.

This is basically how a counter pressure bottle filler works. If you bleed off the pressure in the empty keg gently, you won't have any foaming or carbonation loss. The only snag I can think of is judging how full keg is.

Well, the same principle would apply... you want to fill it under pressure, otherwise you'll lose a little carbonation. You could modify a counter-pressure bottle filler with a wide stopper and a longer fill tube... I've used mine to fill 1L flip-top bottles before.

If you don't have one, you can stick a piece of racking cane in the end of a picnic faucet and at least fill the keg from the bottom up to minimize foaming. I'll bet if you do it gently enough and pressurize immediately, you'll lose very little carbonation.

If you try something, let us know how it works out :)

Check this out:
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=61167

Keep scrolling down past the pics/info on making a kegerator fitting and you will see how he made a set up for taking the 5l kegs on the road. I plan on doing this. I've already used the design to use the mini-kegs in my kegorator and it works well.
I realize this is a decade old, but the link is not active anymore and I’m looking to do this and would like to know how it worked. Filling a 5l with carbed beer for use at a party or what have you.

Latest posts

Back