Mini kegs which option?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blagooba

Reaction score
Hi all

Iv done 2 batches of biab and bottling is great but my bittle neck as i only have about 40. I was thinkinv about investing in maybe 5 mini kegs as theyre pretty cheap and will let my break up my batch into bulk and bottles.

I know there are two types

Gravity poor ones like in the shops with a little tap at the bottom

And plain ones which require a co2 injecter and tap at extra cost.

Im swaying towards the first option for simplicity and if i give one out it will obviously work easily.

Any inputs from you guys if one is drastically better than the other?

Thanks

2-Liter bottles, with or without a carbonation cap.

I use mine mostly for making soda or soda water as my tap lines aren't long enough to handle the higher carbonation needed. I can also carbonate a beer, either naturally or force-carb. After I serve, I just give it a second of CO2 off the tank to keep it carbonated.

Last edited:
I had dozens of both over the years. I used to bring them back from Germany with me.

You're better off with the gravity tap on the bottom, but you have to use the bung that has a small pull up tab on top to allow the air to flow in.

The bung with the center piece needs to be pushed in by the shaft on the tap which is just an added cost.

FWIW, I have one tap that works with the CO2 cartridge and another that has a manual pump to inject pressure and pours from it.

I can get 5 with postage for about 35 quid so will go for the ones with taps.

I guess if i ever want to to use the co2 bulbs i can anyway :)

I can get 5 with postage for about 35 quid so will go for the ones with taps.

I guess if i ever want to to use the co2 bulbs i can anyway :)

For the CO2 taps you would have to use the bungs that will allow you to use a tap. They are usually brown rubber with a tan plastic piece that gets pushed into the keg.

The bungs for the kegs with the built in gravity tap are usually black rubber with a red plastic tab that you turn (open) to allow air to enter the keg.

easykeg.jpg
So i order 5 for 40 gbp.

I didnt think though. How long will beer keep in one of these if it is sealed? Is it the same as bottles?

Back