Picnic Tap 2.1 vs. Nukatap Mini

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@KegLand sent me their flow control disconnect and nuka mini tap as well; I thought I already posted my review in the other thread but must've fat-fingered the post button. Sorry for the delay, Kegland.

Anywho, @GoodTruble seems to have had a similar experience to mine (great write-up, btw). Here are my thoughts:

PT 2.1
Despite my original post on the other thread, I was able to get the PT2 working fine after I used it for an all-barley beer. I was using it on a wheat beer keg initially, but when my pale ale finished I tried dispensing it with the PT2 and I experienced far less foaming and leaking. Perhaps it can't handle foamy styles as well? I'm curious if anyone else has experience with that. (Also, when I emailed Trong, the manufacturer, about this, he said that learning to use the PT2 was like "learning to play the guitar." I thought that was amusing. Good guy, though.)

As you can see from the video, it pours just fine after an initial bit of foam, even if it's been cooled down in the fridge first.

The twist mechanism is fine but I found it can get stuck with dried beer residue if you don't use it for a few days, and is also less intuitive for any guests that may use it. But it's truly dripless which is great if you're concerned with keeping your kegerator clean.

The main downside of this thing is the pour speed. Sometimes I wish I could goose it just a bit, but the only way to do that is by irreversibly trimming the flow rate reducer, which is unfortunate. GoodTruble mentioned that using this in conjunction with a flow control disconnect might be the answer; I'm interested in that too.

Finally, it looks like something you bought on eBay, but I don't care because it stays inside my kegerator.

Nuka Tap Mini w/ FC Disconnect
Kegland sent me these for free, but I thought I'd point out that they appear to be more expensive in combination compared to the PT2.1, which makes sense.

This thing pours perfectly, and I found it took less cold beer to cool it down.

The tap functions like a regular draft tap, which is great if you want guests to serve themselves, but it does feel flimsy. It bends somewhat when you open and close it which makes sense because just about the only thing providing structural support is a small length of Duotight line. There's also a hard plastic arm that prevents it from bending backward too far, but I have to admit that the flexing makes me slightly nervous. Because of this, you have to really make sure you seat the tap fully closed, as there's no positive "click" that indicates you did so like I get with my full-size NukaTaps. You'll see me struggle with this in the video, but I partially blame it on operating one-handed while also taking a video.

The flow control disconnect, however, is a game-changer. It's amazing to be able to change that on the fly with zero feet of beer line. The flow control on this thing is far superior to even that of my stainless full-size Nuka FC's, which foam like crazy when cranked down. The control knob is smooth and easy to adjust very finely.

It does drip when you close it, but only slightly because of the small volume of the faucet.

And it looks cool, too. Multiple people commented on it when I took it to the lake Labor Day weekend on a mini keg in a cooler.

Verdict
If I had to keep only one, I'd keep the Nuka mini because of its versatility. If it was just a bit sturdier I think it'd be the best possible option for this kind of tap.

Last edited:
As @doug293cz didn't mention anything it might just be me, but instead of images I'm seeing this...

Screenshot_20231001_145032_Adblock Browser.jpg

Cheers!

BTW, is the mini actually available in the US yet? Unless I missed something, I think everyone who's shared experiences got it direct from Kegland to review.

As @doug293cz didn't mention anything it might just be me, but instead of images I'm seeing this...

View attachment 830585

Cheers!
I see similar. The post itself contains links to Google Drive, rather than embedding the actual images or videos in the post. If poster hasn't made their Google Drive publicly accessible, folks can't see the pictures.

Brew on :mug:

BTW, is the mini actually available in the US yet? Unless I missed something, I think everyone who's shared experiences got it direct from Kegland to review.
I don't think they are available in the US yet. There is usually a 6 to 9 month delay between Kegland releasing new items in Australia and when they become available in the US. So I am guessing they will be available in the next 2 to 3 months in the US (just a guess). Morebeer and Williams Brewing are usually the first websites to sell new KegLand items in the US.

Just another data point - I've used my PT 2.1 on a strongly carbonated wheat beer (about 3 vol of CO2) and I didn't have any excess foaming at all. I've even trimmed 1/2 a turn off the flow control thingy. I have one tap that is a little sticky from beer gunk but it's still fully operational. When that keg kicks I'm hoping it will clean up without any problems. Otherwise, even though the pour speed is a bit slow, I've been super happy with them.

I like the PT2.1; I have two of them. I only tap one keg at a time, so I’m not really motivated to do a full keezer build. I just open the lid, pour a beer, close the lid. I’ve seen the amazing pictures some of you guys have posted. While I’m impressed, I’m just not that committed. I use the low-profile version, and am tickled to be rid of my old conventional taps; no hoses, less dribbles, etc.
I have used the second one one a small keg for events; so easy to use, and easy instructions for use; 1) turn all the way on, 2) Turn all the way off. Everyone catches on quickly.
If it were available in stainless, I would definitely get one. That would be the ultimate portable tap for me!

If I had to keep only one, I'd keep the Nuka mini because of its versatility. If it was just a bit sturdier I think it'd be the best possible option for this kind of tap.
That flexing of the tap when connected to the flow control disconnect worries me a bit. Is this thing going to survive at a party?

I do like the flexible mounting features of the Nuka Mini. It seems really easy to mount to the outside of a cooler or to a piece of wood.

Sorry incorrect with the Pluto Gun - it can work the same if connected to an ordinary disconnect as it has It's own flow control on the 'trigger'
Are you saying that by varying the trigger pull, you can control the flow? I just tried it with mine to double check, and unless I have the trigger fully pulled it works like a picnic tap and sprays foam. I have the $15 ABS version.

Are you saying that by varying the trigger pull, you can control the flow? I just tried it with mine to double check, and unless I have the trigger fully pulled it works like a picnic tap and sprays foam. I have the $15 ABS version.
I find with my 'trigger' I can vary the rate of flow - and so the foam buildup - depending on how hard it's pulled

I just saw this come out. Currently, I use a PT 2 (.1?) for pulling samples off my fermentation kegs (that have his floating filtered dip tubes in them). Unfortunately, there's still a little trub that gets pulled through them, and unless I immediately flush them they get clogged and are unusable. Does it look like the Nukatap Mini would do a better job of staying clear (or at least be easier to clean out)?

I use a PT 2 (.1?) for pulling samples off my fermentation kegs (that have his floating filtered dip tubes in them). Unfortunately, there's still a little trub that gets pulled through them, and unless I immediately flush them they get clogged and are unusable. Does it look like the Nukatap Mini would do a better job of staying clear (or at least be easier to clean out)?
So the flow control insert gets gunked up with trub? In that case it does sound like the mini might be better suited to your specific use. My guess is that the faucet itself should be as easy to clean as any other, but I'm not sure about the flow control QDs.

So the flow control insert gets gunked up with trub? In that case it does sound like the mini might be better suited to your specific use. My guess is that the faucet itself should be as easy to clean as any other, but I'm not sure about the flow control QDs.
I'm guessing that's what gets clogged up? Either that or in the twist spigot. I'm not worried about the flow-control portion of it for this application.

I'm guessing that's what gets clogged up? Either that or in the twist spigot. I'm not worried about the flow-control portion of it for this application.
I use the PT as well. If yours is getting clogged, and flow control is not an issue, can’t you just remove the the spiral and use the tap without it? IF that is what is getting clogged, it can’t clog if it ain’t there!

I use the PT as well. If yours is getting clogged, and flow control is not an issue, can’t you just remove the the spiral and use the tap without it? IF that is what is getting clogged, it can’t clog if it ain’t there!
I want to say I've taken the spiral out and it was still clogged but I would have to verify.

From our experience the most common area to get blocked up is the keg post poppet.

With that said if you need to take apart the flow control ball lock disconnect then you can do this with a phillips head screw driver to remove the top and then the whole thing comes undone fairly easily. With that said I dont think that doing this is required. The only cleaning I do with the Flow Control ball lock disconnect is to soak the whole thing in soapy water from time to time and then re-lubricate it with a tiny bit of lube. Dried up beer tends to glue up the quick disconnect ring that lifts up. If you also run sanitiser through the unit from time to time this is a good idea too but beyond that disassembly is rarely necessary.

Latest posts

Back