Mini Keg Oxidation / Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JebCkr

Reaction score
My current setup includes the typical 5 gal bath and 5, 1 gallon mini kegs. I only have the one tap / carbonation setup (using 16g co2 cartridges), while the other 4 have just the metal cap for sealing.

So, my concern is what to do when I rack the 5 gallons. Keg 1, I'd go ahead and force carb and have read for drinking in 2-3 days. My question is what to do with the other 4.

Will filling them with flat beer and sealing until they are ready to carb lead to oxidation? If so, what is the timeline? I've no idea if the beer would spoil in 3 days or 3 months.

If oxidation is an issue, would it be acceptable to add priming sugar to the kegs not supplied with co2? Would I add the full amount to achieve full carbonation or would it be better to put in just enough to push off the oxygen in the headspace?

Any advice is appreciated.

Edit: I found some good info from Midwestsupplies. I'll update with results.
https://www.midwestsupplies.com/blogs/bottled-knowledge/how-do-i-fill-and-dispense-mini-kegs

Last edited:
Dr_Jeff is giving you the best advice for your situation, but be aware of two things 1) youbwill get some extra oxidation as you will have to open again to swap lids when you are ready to put the ball lock lid on your next keg 2) for the keg conditioned batches your first one or two beers are going to be dumpers from all the crud from the conditioning getting sucked up. Normally not a huge issue, but when a one gallon keg only gives you 8 or so pints it becomes a bit more bothersome.

There will be sediment but the amount of sediment is proportional to the volume. Careful crafting of the dip tube might be able to keep it out of the pours too.

Thank you for the replies. In looking through old threads, it seems that my beer will either be fine for 10 years or burst into flames on day 2.

What if I just rack to the kegs (I guess this applies to all kegs, mini or not), carefully and leave very little headspace. Then store without any movement until it is time to hook up the carbonation?

Given I have multiple kegs here, I think I'll experiment and see if there's a noticeable difference. Yes...that's reasonable, high five.

Back