Mini Fridge that needs a new thermostat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSNCO

Reaction score
I know someone selling a Danby mini fridge that supposedly needs a new thermostat. The fridge is cheap and in great condition. Will a STC 1000 or an inkbird plugged into the fridge overide and easily resolve this bad thermostat issue?

The thermostat can be easily bypassed on most mini-fridges, which would render the unit controllable by an add-on unit like the STC-1000 or any similar device no matter what the original ailment might have been (stuck open or stuck closed)...

Cheers!

Does it cool but just doesn't self regulate? If it is like that, you can probably just add on an external controller without having to modify the thing. (Worth a try)

Also, as someone who's had two STC1000s die but still has two ITC308s going strong, I'd recommend the itc.

I did exactly that on my second Kegerator. My thermostat was broken. I bypassed it so it would run if you plugged it in, and ran that to a temp controller.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=567503

Don't just plug it in and let it run, you'll let the compressor stay on and it will get super cold, and then likely fail at some point. It needs a control of some sort.

Back