Mineral additions before dechlorination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HH_

Reaction score
Morning brewers!
I brew with a grainfather and am trying to streamline my brew day, and wondered if you could help.

Currently I put all my water in my grainfather, then leave it overnight for the chlorine to dissipate out of solution. The next morning I add my mineral additions and heat to strike temperature before doughing-in. I know there are no chloramines used to treat my water supply.

My question is this, if I were to add my mineral additions the night before brewing (ie before leaving the water out so the chlorine can gas off) are they going to react with the chlorine which is in solution to form any compounds that could affect my brew?

I find that with my water profile, which is very soft, I only need to use calcium sulfate, calcium chloride and magnesium sulfate to get my water where I need it to brew IPAs.

Thanks very much for your help!

Last edited:
I don't see how water minerals can react with chlorine.

But to keep it simple, adding 1/16 of a teaspoon (1/4 of 1/4 teaspoon) of Potassium Metabisulfite or 1/4 crushed Campden tablet and a good stir will rid you water from any chlorine within a minute. 100% guaranteed. Then add your minerals. Brew away or let it sit overnight to possibly lose some more oxygen.

Good question. The reason chlorine dissipates is because it's volatile, meaning it converts to a gas (I believe technically it's the ammonia part of chlorine).

I can understand the desire to mess with your water once and be done with it. You could always play it safe and measure your salts out into a cup or something the night before when you're getting your water. Then in the morning, you don't have to mess around with jars, scales or measuring spoons, you just dump the whole thing in and go.

I don't see how water minerals can react with chlorine.

Cool - I wasn’t sure, so thanks for letting me know this doesn’t happen! My water chemistry isn’t the best, so glad to get a second opinion.

Thanks micraftbeer - good idea to measure out the salts separately. The grainfather has the option to set the time you would like to have the strike water preheated by, so I would like to just wake up and have it at the right temperature ready & waiting. I’ll give this brew a shot tomorrow having added the salts tonight and will report back if there are any issues with chlorophenolic flavours in the finished beer.

Thanks for your replies!

I’ll give this brew a shot tomorrow having added the salts tonight and will report back if there are any issues with chlorophenolic flavours in the finished beer.

Thanks for your replies!

I'm still very doubtful leaving 7 gallons of water standing in a tall vessel for 12-24 hours will eliminate all the chlorine it contains. I really urge you to use that pinch of Campden or Meta to make sure it's 100% eradicated.

On a whole brew day that little pinch may be the most essential link!

Once you know it, it cannot be unknown.

Last edited:
Once you know it, it cannot be unknown.

Ha! I’m sure you’re right - I might do a side-by-side comparison of today’s brew against the same recipe but using charcoal filtered/campden tablet treated water and see what the difference is like. I’ll report back if I can taste any discrepancies.

Back