Mind that boil-over...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enggboy

Reaction score
Was making a starter on the stove last night for this weekends first all-grain (BIAB) attempt, and I absent-mindedly just dumped 1 cup of DME into a pot of water that was at a full rolling boil... great mother of pearl that made a mess! :drunk:

It instantly turned onto a tower of foam shooting out the top of the pot, and by the time I was able to remove it from the heat and it settled down, I had lost about 1/2 of my 2L boil volume. This left me looking at the half flooded stove and wet floor like a deer caught in headlights thinking to myself "Can I clean this up before SWMBO gets home?" :cross:

I can now say for certain, that half wet globs of DME are a total pain in the butt to clean up, but I managed to get it donw and the wife has a freshly mopped kitchen floor and clean stove to show for it.

So, a lesson for you: keep your mind on what you are doing, even when it is just making a starter.

Take 2 on the starter turned out much better and is foaming away nicely on the stir plate now.

Dr. Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
Dr. Peter Venkman: What?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Don't cross the streams.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Why?
Dr. Egon Spengler: It would be bad.
Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Dr Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

images

Latest posts

Back