Milling Grain in a Komo Fidibus 21

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which grind looks best for a BIAB setup?

• Total voters

Earthson

Reaction score
Hello. I'm just getting into all grain again. Don't have my old mill anymore. But I do have a german made mill for making bread: Komo Fidibus 21 It uses stones to grind the grains. I figured that I could just dial the coarseness way back and see how it does. I tried 4 different grinds with some Pilsen German 2-row. I've attached the images below. I'd love to hear from you guys with your input on which looks best for a BIAB setting. Thanks :)
Grind 1.jpgGrind 2.jpgGrind 3.jpgGrind 4.jpg

From left to right: Grind 1, 2, 3, 4

I'm leaning toward Grind 3. Everything appears to be well cracked with little flour. Grind 4 seems a little too coarse, with some of the grains not cracked at all.

And just in case people have the Komo Fidibus and want to replicate:

Grind 1: was dialled in past the far right LARGE black dot on the grinder, to the corner seam(of the wooden housing).
Grind 2: was half way between the seam in the front right, and the rear right
Grind 3: was at the rear right seam
Grind 4: was half way between the rear right seam and the rear left seam.

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 2.17.51 PM.png

For BIAB It’s hard to crush too fine. I’d be inclined to go with #1 or #2. Two looks about like what I use with a mash tun. That said, even with high res photos, it’s hard to judge the crush if you can’t run your fingers through it.

to me they all look to coarse, but #1 had some flour tossed on top......personally i get about as much flour as #1 when i mill, but the chunks are half the size as what you show.....i'm wondering if maybe there was some way to slow the mill down? fan speed controller or something.....

Curious why a grain grinder would be named "Fidibus", considering the literal meaning of the word (yes, it's a real word) is "a piece of paper for lighting a pipe" or a stove burner or pretty much anything you want to light on fire using a piece of paper :)

tenor.gif

:D

Back