Miller fortune ad campaign

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could be wrong and it sure wouldn't shock me if i am but i heard somewhere that some bmc beers are condenesd and carried by tanker cars and watered down to there abv's at the canning plant. could this be there out to cover there rears? as far as i know the AB brewery in cols ohio canned at the brewery unless there is some of there brews brought in by tankers.

I don't think thats physically possible without being a distillery. You'd have to add water and alcohol back in and it would probably taste terrible.

I don't think thats physically possible without being a distillery. You'd have to add water and alcohol back in and it would probably taste terrible.

I thought it was brewed at a higher abv and then shipped and watered down at the canning plants.

all the big breweries brew high gravity and then water it down. this is according to the boys at the brewing network.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm glad I'm not the only one that cought the "un distilled" line. I said "beer isn't distilled" out loud while warching tv by myself.
I do think they are trying to get the mixed drink crowd to give them a try?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Home Brew mobile app

Take a look at how many people Miller got to talk about their product, in just this forum alone, by just saying "undistilled." Pretty good advertising if you ask me.

Take a look at how many people Miller got to talk about their product, in just this forum alone, by just saying "undistilled." Pretty good advertising if you ask me.

but it's also asinine. we're talking about it, but not because it's really sparked our interest in the product. we're talking about it because they are preying on what the general public doesn't know about the product in general. any one of us knows that them adding that in is down right ridiculous. most of the swilling nation doesn't. I'm not gonna run out & buy some up because of their "clever marketing". in fact, the more this goes on, the less likely I am to even try it. because of their marketing.

Advertising with a huge budget, and blowing enough smoke up peoples azzes so that they try your product is pretty easy.
Ask any business owner....it's the repeat business that keeps you going. If this tastes like crap and people don't continue to buy it, then all that smoke was worthless.
Just put it in a forty and call it Fortune 45, or old English fortune......it'll sell.

Advertising with a huge budget, and blowing enough smoke up peoples azzes so that they try your product is pretty easy.
Ask any business owner....it's the repeat business that keeps you going. If this tastes like crap and people don't continue to buy it, then all that smoke was worthless.
Just put it in a forty and call it Fortune 45, or old English fortune......it'll sell.

I don't know. I bought rogue Bacon maple ale because of the hype and won't buy it again. I'm pretty sure they made bank off the folks who bought one bomber of it and never wanted another taste of it.

*sigh* I make all 3 types of alcohol regularly. Beer, wine and the other thing we don't talk about here. I caught that too and I was as dumbfounded as any of you. And also whiskey is NOT "distilled beer". You don't want to be distilling anything with hops in it. Also the grain bill for your typical beer is how you make scotch, not whiskey. Whiskey is predominately corn (Bourbon is at least 51% corn). Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers here.

*sigh* I make all 3 types of alcohol regularly. Beer, wine and the other thing we don't talk about here. I caught that too and I was as dumbfounded as any of you. And also whiskey is NOT "distilled beer". You don't want to be distilling anything with hops in it. Also the grain bill for your typical beer is how you make scotch, not whiskey. Whiskey is predominately corn (Bourbon is at least 51% corn). Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers here.

One could argue that the grain bill for your typical Miller beer contains about 51% corn...

I'm going to be on the lookout for this tonight. I actually forgot when I was at the beer store last night. I picked up a 6-pack of Blackrocks Rabbit. It's a light beer brewed by Blackrocks in Marquette, MI. I'll be doing a full review in the review forum...

Anyway, yeah, I REALLY don't understand why they would even compare a distilled product with this beer. Makes no sense. It's almost as if they believe that people still make beer buying decisions based on hype and product image.

Like if you buy Black Crown you are going to end up in a dark room filled with well-dressed rich people having a... Well, I was going to say good time, but based on the commercial, I'm not really sure what they heck they were doing. Kind of looked like some form of occult ritual. Maybe they were sacrificing craft beer virgins to the Beer Gods... That's what evil people do.

I found it pretty funny that here in Utah, where the limit on ABV on beer sold anywhere other than the state run liquor stores or licensed bars is 4%, they are selling Fortune at the grocery store. That means that they are making a 4%abv version. By opting to sell that version in the stores they can no longer offer the higher abv version anywhere in Utah. I figured for this "spirited golden lager" they'd want to sell it at full strength. Guess not.

Would anyone expect anything different from AB/M/C?

This is what they do, it's as if they are completely clueless. They are trying desperately to salvage their sales which are being ripped away from them by craft beers so they come up with a new, nasty, adjunct lager and give it a fancy name instead of making it taste good or, imagine this, making something other than a lager!

Fortune!
Platinum!
Black Crown!
Sapphire!
Blue Royal!
Select!

It's all the same junk. Sadly, people do buy it because it has a flashy name. Hell, people buy Busch during hunting season because it comes in camo cardboard.

Also the grain bill for your typical beer is how you make scotch, not whiskey. Whiskey is predominately corn

Huh? I'm confused. Can you explain this a little better? I was under the impression that Scotch is simply whiskey that is made in Scotland. The terms "Scotch" and "Scotch whiskey" are interchangeable. They're both made from "barley, malted barley, rye, malted rye, wheat, buckwheat and corn," according to Wikipedia. Moreover, it also says that "All Scotch whisky was originally made from malted barley."

Can you clarify your statement? Is Wikipedia incorrect? Or am I just misunderstanding the hierchical relationship between the spirits?

Huh? I'm confused. Can you explain this a little better? I was under the impression that Scotch is simply whiskey that is made in Scotland. The terms "Scotch" and "Scotch whiskey" are interchangeable. They're both made from "barley, malted barley, rye, malted rye, wheat, buckwheat and corn," according to Wikipedia. Moreover, it also says that "All Scotch whisky was originally made from malted barley."

Can you clarify your statement? Is Wikipedia incorrect? Or am I just misunderstanding the hierchical relationship between the spirits?

It's kind of confusing, but basically Scotch and Bourbon are both forms of Whiskey, that is a distilled liquor that is aged in Oak Barrels. The length of aging and type of filtering help to define them.

Bourbon, is simply Whiskey that has at least 51% corn and is aged in charred oak barrels, etc. There are forms of Bourbon, like Tennesee bourbon

As I said, it gets confusing. I recommend a Google search on this topic, as my memory may be failing on the exact requirements for naming.

I *think* Scotch has to be made in Scotland, have no adjuncts (barley or rye are the only two mash ingredients IIRC) and be aged in a certain type of barrel for so many years.

... the grain bill for your typical beer is how you make scotch, not whiskey...

I can't believe I'd enjoyed my Glenfiddich Solera for nearly 15 yrs before I knew it was distilled, no-hop, beer. Grew up in TN and knew all about Jack Daniels tho... ;)

Growing up in Buffalo, NY, we would drive to Canada most weekends from age 19-21 to drink. We would always get Molson XXX because it was higher alcohol. Apparently it's 7.3%. Funny that we thought that was high as I'm drinking a home brewed black IPA that's 8%, which is normal for what I brew.

Growing up in Vermont we did the same thing (Quebec had a drinking age of 18 in the late 1990s, not sure if that's still the case). Molson XXX tasted horrible but we were totally sold on the "strong beer" concept and would always buy a case to drink at our hotel before we went out. Do they still make it? Would be interesting to try one after all these years.

Sorry I was going by taste not nomenclature. If you grain bill is all barley malt then it will have a "scotch" taste when distilled. Mostly corn mashes are where whiskey comes from, then depending on who makes it it can have rye or wheat in it also.

:p
Growing up in Vermont we did the same thing (Quebec had a drinking age of 18 in the late 1990s, not sure if that's still the case). Molson XXX tasted horrible but we were totally sold on the "strong beer" concept and would always buy a case to drink at our hotel before we went out. Do they still make it? Would be interesting to try one after all these years.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I still saw it in Canada or maybe Buffalo.

Though the ad campaign is stupid, it's just marketing so I get it. --- What is really offensive to me is the taste of this beer.

I am a life long Miller High Life drinker along with my home-brews, and I am always happy to keep an open mind when trying any new beer.

This beer was horrid - reminded me of Milwaukee's Best Ice.......just horrible. I really had a hard time forcing one down...very 40 style malt liquorish.

Just my opinion - to each their own.

Growing up in Vermont we did the same thing (Quebec had a drinking age of 18 in the late 1990s, not sure if that's still the case).

Yup, it still is. Quebec also has all-nude "gentlemen's clubs" that serve alcohol (as opposed to the bizarre dichotomy in a lot of US states where they can either serve alcohol and keep the bottoms on, or go all-nude but not serve alcohol) with $10 hands-on (both yours and hers) lap dances.

Frankly, I'm flabberghasted that there isn't a flood of 18 year old Americans streaming across the Quebec border every weekend. Do they just not know?

Yup, it still is. Quebec also has all-nude "gentlemen's clubs" that serve alcohol (as opposed to the bizarre dichotomy in a lot of US states where they can either serve alcohol and keep the bottoms on, or go all-nude but not serve alcohol) with $10 hands-on (both yours and hers) lap dances.

Frankly, I'm flabberghasted that there isn't a flood of 18 year old Americans streaming across the Quebec border every weekend. Do they just not know?

Nah. Americans are just more sophisticated when it comes to sex than Canadians or Europeans.

I had this beer about 2 months ago in a bar and I was not a fan. It had very little flavor, but what was there wasn't appealing. Very reminiscent of malt liquor.

For the record, I am big fan of BL Platinum (my light non-homebrew-go-to), but not Bud Black Crown. I'd suggest trying this stuff, but don't buy a 6 pack as you likely won't want a 2nd.

*sigh* I make all 3 types of alcohol regularly. Beer, wine and the other thing we don't talk about here. I caught that too and I was as dumbfounded as any of you. And also whiskey is NOT "distilled beer". You don't want to be distilling anything with hops in it.

I'm prettier sure most BMC products don't have any hops in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm a little late to the party but, I saw this commercial for the first time tonight and, of course, came here to vent. :)

Like most, the 'undistilled' claim irks me. What the hell is a 'spirited golden lager'? Doesn't this simply classify as a 'mixed drink in a bottle'? Take a beer and add whisky? Sounds like a mixed drink to me!

I had this beer about 2 months ago in a bar and I was not a fan. It had very little flavor, but what was there wasn't appealing. Very reminiscent of malt liquor.

For the record, I am big fan of BL Platinum (my light non-homebrew-go-to), but not Bud Black Crown. I'd suggest trying this stuff, but don't buy a 6 pack as you likely won't want a 2nd.

I agree this is really not a good beer, up scale Malt liquor, if even.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I get this advertising ploy. Over the last year or so, the beer industry has lost a small percentage of market share and sales, which is thought to be due to increasing market share gain and sales from the premium liquor market. For the beer industry as a whole, even a small percentage shift equates to millions of dollars in business, so this is a big deal to the major brands. Interesting note is that that craft beer market has only grown in market share and sales over the last 4-5 years, despite the beer market, as a whole, taking a dive in the alcoholic beverage industry.

This brings us to this product and add campaign. It reminds me a bit of that crazy product I think miller put out not too long ago, the beer-Rita, or something like that. A beer mixed with a margarita??? I don't see how this current product, and other failures like it, can actually recapture some of the lost market share. Seems like an epic fail to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm a little late to the party but, I saw this commercial for the first time tonight and, of course, came here to vent. :)

Like most, the 'undistilled' claim irks me. What the hell is a 'spirited golden lager'? Doesn't this simply classify as a 'mixed drink in a bottle'? Take a beer and add whisky? Sounds like a mixed drink to me!

Here's what miller is doing.

First, this beer is intended to bring back customers they're loosing in bars and restaurants to mixed drink sales.

Understanding that what they're doing is creating a mental connection between their "spirited golden larger" and your favorite cocktail. They use the word "spirited" in the figurative sense, much like your great great grandpa might describe a rambunctious young lady as a rather spirited lass. But the use of the word is mostly to create that mental connection to an actual drink with spirits in it.

Then, they pretend to clarify by pointing out that their spirited golden lager is undistilled. But again, they are using words associated with liquor in order to create a connection between their product and liquor.

Keep in mind, most people don't posses a rock solid notion of what the terms spirit and distillation mean in regard to alcoholic beverages. For those of us who do the whole thing is a big fat load of nonsense, but for your average BMC customer it might sound intriguing.

Here's what miller is doing.

First, this beer is intended to bring back customers they're loosing in bars and restaurants to mixed drink sales.

Understanding that what they're doing is creating a mental connection between their "spirited golden larger" and your favorite cocktail. They use the word "spirited" in the figurative sense, much like your great great grandpa might describe a rambunctious young lady as a rather spirited lass. But the use of the word is mostly to create that mental connection to an actual drink with spirits in it.

Then, they pretend to clarify by pointing out that their spirited golden lager is undistilled. But again, they are using words associated with liquor in order to create a connection between their product and liquor.

Keep in mind, most people don't posses a rock solid notion of what the terms spirit and distillation mean in regard to alcoholic beverages. For those of us who do the whole thing is a big fat load of nonsense, but for your average BMC customer it might sound intriguing.

Makes perfect sense....Clearly Miller brewing company does not understand that most folks don't understand their subliminal message.

I wonder how many folks with a G&T or some fruity panty dropper in their hand say....mmmmmm, I think I'll have a high Alcohol Miller Fortune because I really miss being bloated and gassy at a bar.

Sometimes a prefer a good mixed drink, sometimes I prefer a cheap session beer and sometimes I like a well crafted well balanced beer, never some high alcohol malt beverage lacking, well...anything.

Makes perfect sense....Clearly Miller brewing company does not understand that most folks don't understand their subliminal message.

I wonder how many folks with a G&T or some fruity panty dropper in their hand say....mmmmmm, I think I'll have a high Alcohol Miller Fortune because I really miss being bloated and gassy at a bar.

Sometimes a prefer a good mixed drink, sometimes I prefer a cheap session beer and sometimes I like a well crafted well balanced beer, never some high alcohol malt beverage lacking, well...anything.

My guess is that in another year we wont see Miller Fortune on store shelves. I think they laid an egg on this one.

Doubly so here in Utah where sale of beer in grocery stores and gas stations is limited to 4%abv. Miller could have opted to offer their beer at full strength at the state run liquor store and in bars and restaurants but they opted to nerf it and offer it as a 4%abv beer on grocery store shelves. Doing that bars them from offering the higher abv version anywhere in the state.

Latest posts

Back