milk/sweet stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edecambra

Reaction score
SWMBO wants to make her first beer as a Milk stout. I have been looking at some recipes and see that it is also a sweet stout. I think she wants to make something like left hand milk stout, but I wouldn't consider that sweet at all. I have had sweet stouts and think they are just to dessertie for me ( and her).

I found this clone recipe and it calls for just over a pound of lactose, does this seem correct? can anyone attest to the sweetness of this beer?

Thanks

check out deception cream stout in the recipe section. a pound of lactose is pretty common...

I just made a milk stout kit last month and it called for 8 oz of maltodextrin and 8 oz of lactose and it is good and well balanced. Any more lactose and I would consider it too sweet. Extra hops would balance it out.

I did NB's Chocolate Milk Stout, and it came with 1 pound of lactose. It turned out great.

I was thinking of trying to make a milk stout from a cooper's can,some DME,hops,& about 250g each of maltodextrin (have on hand),& 250g of lactose. 250g = 8.75oz each. I thought one would help enhance the other,the maltodextrine being 5% fermentable max.
The Left Hand Brewing version is very good. It's the first stout I actually like,so I'd like to make something close to it. Maybe a mixture of 1.5lbs each of plain amber & dark DME.

SWMBO wants to make her first beer as a Milk stout. I have been looking at some recipes and see that it is also a sweet stout. I think she wants to make something like left hand milk stout, but I wouldn't consider that sweet at all. I have had sweet stouts and think they are just to dessertie for me ( and her).

I found this clone recipe and it calls for just over a pound of lactose, does this seem correct? can anyone attest to the sweetness of this beer?

Thanks

I just brewed this using the BIAB method. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/left-hand-milk-stout-clone-139820/ Rave reviews from all. There is an extract recipe in that thread as well. I had a few of these over the weekend, if mine come out like the original I will be in heaven

I second the Deception cream stout recipe on this forum. Amazing stuff and very smooth. I wouldnt say its sweet as lactose really isnt that sweet.

The LHB milk stout isn't really sweet either. Just a smooth,non bitter quality to it. Can't quite call it creamy,but not sweet in the usual sense.

Back