Milk Stout secondary ferm necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeeaa789

Reaction score
Hey yall, this is my first post in a brew forum, so far I've brewed a pumpkin ale and tried to mimic the White House Honey ale with success. I am now doing a milk stout, first time using a brew kit from Brewer's Best. This ia only my 3rd brew so I'm def a newb. Anyways So I've had this milk stout in primary for a week now, was thinking of adding cacao nibs at some point but am wondering if its absolutely necessary to transfer to secondary? I've done a sec ferm for my last 2 brews but this time I did my primary in the glass carboy instead of starting in a bucket first to watch the ferm happen. It was very vigorous and I had to make a blow off tube before it got out of hand. So I guess my question is if I can leave it in the primary and just add cacao nibs with the yeast cake still at the bottom? Should I try to siphon that out? Or is it okay to just transfer the brew into a secondary which would have to be a bucket? Sry kind off rambled here but feedback is appreciated.

Cheers!:mug:

I've brewed the BB MIlk Stout twice, its a favorite of mine, as well as my friends. I'm pretty new at brewing, with about 21 batches brewed so far. I've only transferred to secondary a couple times, and I didn't do it on the Milk Stout. In my opinion, it doesn't need secondary. If you add the nibs you might want to transfer, but I don't think you have to. I'm sure the pros on here will give you great advice, that's just my .02 cents. Good luck and Cheers!

There are few beers that need to secondary (some would argue none). You can leave it in primary until it's done. You can also add the cacao into primary. Just wait until fermentation is done and the yeast has had some time to clean up.

Also how would i go about adding coffee to the stout? Originally wanted to make a mocha stout. I was thinking of steeping the coffee either whole bran or grounds, instead of just adding brewed coffee into the wort. I was thinking about adding the cacao nibs then adding the steeping the coffee a couple days before bottling? Would that make it bitter or affect teh flavor negatively ? Any feedback or ideas on incorporating coffee to stout?

Most are cold steeping it, in a traditional "brewed form".. Whole bean will probably not extract the flavor you are looking for. Also, I think most are adding it as a very late addition, to further avoid tannins.

Back