Mild recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

npray

Reaction score
I made my first mild and wanted some input..
5.5gal
7lbs pale malt
1lbs brown malt
8oz C60
4oz dark chocolate malt

mashed at 152 for 60min

.5oz ahtanum FWH
1oz 10min
.5oz FO

pitched us-04 at 64

what do the powers that be think? :mug:

Nothing wrong with that I'm sure it would taste good.

I would have gone for pale chocolate and maybe added a couple of oz's of black patent to compensate for colour. I also would have upped the crystal to maybe 12% and split with a smaller addition of a darker crystal as well. Am also wondering if that maybe is too much brown malt. Just personal choice, I also really like fuggles for milds

Looks good to me! Are you using English malt as the pale base malt?

When I brew a mild I don't really use late hops at all. Maybe half an ounce of fuggles or williamette at 20 min. Also, I may have mashed a little higher but I like the grain bill you selected.
I hope it comes out to your taste. Cheers!

Grains look good. I don't get a lot of flavor out of S-04, but I do tend to ferment in the 64 degree range. I recommend Wyeast 1469, West Yorkshire Ale for English milds and bitters. I love the stuff for English ales.

I'm using great western pale malt, my lhbs doesn't have a huge invetory of base malts. it bubbled like a beast for the first few days around 64-66 degrees but i am not shocked giving the low gravity and us-04 being aggressive.. i plan to bottle mid next week.

I cracked one open last night and oh my... my best batch so far..

Great, glad it worked out well.
Try using Maris Otter as the base malt next time instead of the GW pale, I think you'll notice the difference.

With all that brown malt it must be more like a weak porter than a mild! Nothing wrong with that. I'm quite keen on trying the whole gamut of porters.

Grains look good. I don't get a lot of flavor out of S-04, but I do tend to ferment in the 64 degree range. I recommend Wyeast 1469, West Yorkshire Ale for English milds and bitters. I love the stuff for English ales.

Windsor Ale isn't a bad option if you prefer dry yeast. Milds are low gravity beers with littles roasted malt or hop flavor. It is a perfect stage for estery English yeast. I brewed a mild with 1318 that was excellent.

Back