Might have screwed up - advice please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin K

Reaction score
Lately I've been brewing with kits from The Brew House.
(http://www.thebrewhouse.com/what_is/index.htm)

They come with dry Coopers yeast.

I went to pick up a few kits last night at my LHBS, and the owner recommended that I try liquid yeast (Wyeast smack packs). He said they make the beer much better, and proved it with a sample.

I agreed, and took home a 1098. (1098 British Ale Yeast. The original dried yeast from Whitbread. Produces beers with a clean neutral finish allowing malt and hop character to dominate. Ferments dry & crisp, slightly tart, fruity and well-balanced. Ferments well down to 65°F (18° C). Flocculation - medium; apparent attenuation 73-75%. (64-72° F, 18-22° C))
I smacked it, and waited about 3 hours. It wasn't fully swollen, but the instructions said you can either wait 3-24 hours, or pitch it right away. In my excitement to brew, I poured the BrewHouse kit into my primary, and pitched the yeast. This was last night around 8:30-9pm. No action as of this morning.

I panicked and pitched the dry coopers yeast that came with the kit.

I'm confident that it'll ferment, but will I have a strange flavour produced as a result of the two different types of yeast? Should I expect anything strange with the ferment, or final product?

I'm a *******, please provide input (reassurance).

On a side note, I bottled my Vanilla Brown Ale last night, and it's fantastic (even when flat and warm!). :)

THanks.

Kevin

Liquid yeasts tend to start slower than dried yeasts, just because of lower cells counts. Since you didn't give the yeast a chance to get going, the start would have been even slower.

Multiple yeasts shouldn't be a problem. You'll still get some of the flavors the 1098. Being a Whitbread strain, it shouldn't conflict with the Cooper's.

The only problem I've seen was when I pitched Nottingham & Cal V together. They flocculated like a box of rocks! I ended up rousing the yeast twice a day, until the the ferment finished. But, it was really clear when I racked it.

Wifey says it's slowly starting to bubble.

Should I expect a quicker than usual fermentation because I pitched twice?

Kevin K said:
Wifey says it's slowly starting to bubble.

Should I expect a quicker than usual fermentation because I pitched twice?
Probably not since it sounds like your cell count was pretty low. I'd expect this beer to finish in an average amount of time and taste just fine.

Oh dude... you messed up. Don't you know what can happen when you mix liquid and dry yeasts together? The reaction almost always creates nitroglycerin which can and probably will detonate and destroy your home.

Well, when you mix yeast together, they can get all sociable, and you know where that can lead. That's right!

Dancing.

And that would be wrong.

Back