might be off for a homebrew forum, but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i've heard a lot about scam SSDs...

but my 500gb one isn't cutting it anymore, just took damn near half to install a game....where would a fellow homebrewer look for a non scam 1-2TB SSD? or two for raid?

What form-factor and host bus type & generation are you dealing with?

this MB is from 2014, i'm not even sure if it's SATA-3... it sure doesn't have a fancy M.2 slot.....so 2.5" SATA, probably SATA2?

i'm just concerned with getting the actual capacity it's marketed for and stuff...

think i'd be good buying something labeled as brand new from ebay, that doesn't say from china?

Ok, you likely have SATA-3 (aka SATA 6Gb) ports. If you can't confirm nVME capability I wouldn't spend the money for an nVME drive.
I suggest this drive from Crucial/Micron. It's a 1TB SATA-3 SSD product at a competitive price with a very long track record of reliability.

https://smile.amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-NAND-SATA-Internal/dp/B078211KBB
Cheers!

i think i'll pick up a couple for raid 5 next week....

thanks for the tip, for some reason i was thinking that a 1TB SSD would be around $200....

well i got my three of those 1TB drives...damn how computers have changed!

i got them striped, getting 1500MBs now, but damn....

i tried reinstalling Win10 on them, hopeless......got the OS installed but realized, the lizard people are trying to force me to conform and get a cell phone....

got a program to do a clone, yeah program the things before apps....

then i had a frisky recovery partition, for some reason it still matters on a ssd if windows thinks it's in between two partions...

so now i have 400GB of a HD with 2.7TB left over....thank god i grew up on MS-DOS, because disk manager won't let me delete this SOB chaporone between my clone, and free space....go to command prompt and get old school on that partition with diskpart...

any way thanks for the fun @day_trippr seem to best solid drives so far? ;) :mug:

(oh and i think i found out 2TB is all i can assign a disk)

A 3 way stripe set regardless of media type is tripling the single drive failure rate. If you're building a gaming rig and have zero concern about data availability, vaya con Dios. I've never had the luxury of choosing raw performance over preserving integrity.

Anyway, if you formatted using GPT instead of MBR you can break that size limit...

Cheers!

I've never had the luxury of choosing raw performance over preserving integrity.

i back my check book up, and the last 13 years of what i ate everyday up on a 16GB flash drive....all that's important to me.....but yeah that's what made me pull the trigger on the drives, my other 3 drive stripe lost a friend.....but they were mechanical.....

Anyway, if you formatted using GPT instead of MBR you can break that size limit...

well it's NTFS? not MBR/FAT32? i'm kinda outa touch with modern tech obviously...

I've done design work at home since the early '80s when I was one of the first Digital employees allowed to bring a VAXstation home.
Then when PCs finally became legit I started putting my entire life - so to speak - on disk.
Between work and financial/medical/etc data, everything on my various machines was either cloned or later has been cast across mirrored drives.
Now everything is mirrored - and then copied to NAS.

Anyway, look into GPT. I believe you can convert to GPT from MBR...

Cheers!

Glad you were able to get some more storage.

As for the cheap Chinese ebay SSDs, I’m stubborn and don’t listen to what others say, so I ordered one a few moths ago to put in my rack mount server, it was complete crap. I was able to copy maybe 100 gigs of data to it, then it just basically stopped working. I ended up just getting a Kingston 512 gb SSD to put the host OS on (ESXI) and then bought some used laptop drives on ebay for extra storage at around 10 bucks a pop. I don’t store super important data there anyway.

Back