Midwinter Homebrew Competition 2021

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This competition is on my 'short list' of north central USA winter competitions if/when I get back to being competitive.

Looks like Midwinter Homebrew Competition – A BJCP competition hosted by the Beer Barons of Milwaukee has the info on what one needs to do to enter and what one can expect for feedback.

Please listen read carefully as our menu options processes have changed.

Looks like they are planning, once again, to run a quality competition in a changing environment.

I tried entering this one, but had a difficult time navigating the website.....so, im entering the Winterfest Competition in Las vegas...
29A Fruit beer

I'm sorry to hear that! I'm guessing their system got pretty overwhelmed considering the competition circuit has been hit hard because of the pandemic.

They hit those 400 entires in 12 hours.

I registered in time, early in fact, but screwed up missing the date for entering the brew...I believe it was "operator error" on my part, ie : not reading...lol.. I'll try next year

I registered in time, early in fact, but screwed up missing the date for entering the brew...I believe it was "operator error" on my part, ie : not reading...lol.. I'll try next year

Bummer...I usually only enter 2-4 a year...after taking a year off from brewing wanted to get my feet wet with the new surroundings and new system before entering back into it. Looking forward to it.

Sorry for the bad info. I didn't check. Go to the AHBA website. There is a list for all of the comps around the country. You can even search by state.

Like I said earlier they filled up real quick! I registered 8 hours after opening and there was already 300 entries.

We've had plenty of virtual judging competitions in our area. This one is using in-person judging, I was not going to do that, despite the precautions they are taking.

This past weekend, the Chicago Winterbrew competition announced their results - a beer I brewed with some others, a bourbon-barrel-aged Arctic Ale, won a silver medal! Both of the judges gave it a 38. I

Congrats @Pappers_ Excellent news! I’m excited to get back into it to be honest...haven’t done a comp in about 2 years so I’m excited to get some feedback and see if my water chemistry work has some results1

What brew(s) are you planning on entering & which comp?

I entered my American Wheat into the Cane Island Alers comp...for this one I've got my Kölsch and Helles Bock in.

After I get these results I'll see whats coming up later in 21...I usually hit my local Hudson Valley Homebrewers Comp and then Malt Madness in PA.

Edit: I usually try to stay local so the beer doesn't have to travel that far but we'll see!

I may look into those later this year..I'm curious to see how my beer performs at this comp...then I will make decisions on my next few brews. Good luck to you!...we must circle back to this thread with our results...that would be cool.

Well fellow brewers, the final judging session is this weekend. I'm looking forward to getting some results and seeing where I stack up.

Did anyone else end up putting in some beers?

So, i was able to enter my beer on time & was in. I shipped my beer (UPS) on time on Feb 2...going from SC to the Vegas receiving point. I was tracking my shipment the entire way. Remember, this time period was when the first big snow storm hit the Midwest & my shipment got delayed in Hodgkin's Illinois. I believe it was about -7 degrees . Then my tracking indicated that my shipment made it the Vegas processing facility, at this point, I'm confident that my shipment would be delivered. After a few days of when the shipment was supposed to be delivered, I called & initiated a trace. Guess what?
The shipment was not found & lost, claim issued. Now Im in the middle of trying to recover some $ for the "Yeast samples" I shipped...UGH! Im really bummed out, but I know there are other comps to enter in the future. Cheers to you who are entered, I hope you do very well.

Do you have a link to the livestream by any chance? I'm not on Facebook but the wife is.

I don’t think there will be a link until it actually starts. If you can get her to follow the Southern Nevada Ale Fermenters Union page on Facebook she can get a notification when they go live.

Well friends, not the results I was hoping for...

29 on my Kölsch
34 on the Helles Bock

The comments were interesting on the Kölsch because he said he picked up fruity esters...I did try a new yeast but I didn't pick up anything more than floral and spicy notes.

Oh well, you live and learn!

Attachments

• 000021.pdf
    254.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 000022.pdf
    45.2 KB · Views: 10
Update...I was able to go through the UPS claims procedure & I was able to successfully get a complete refund for the loss of "Yeast Samples".

Back