Midwest Supply "wine expert" told me something weird today...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usaftrevor87

Reaction score
So I had a weird experience today at Midwest Supplies. I live right outside of Minneapolis so I thought I would go to their showroom and pick up some stuff. I just started my first wine and had a couple questions.

So after shopping for a bit I was talking to their "wine expert" (nice older lady who seemed very knowledgeable) and she said you should never use SanStar as a sanitizer for wine making. She said she has talked with the CEO of SanStar himself (who also makes his own wine) and he also has stated he used Potassium Metabisulfites and you should not use SanStar. She said using it can cause weird tastes and effects the clearing of the wine. This just seems so off to me because it seems like sooo many people on here use it?

So here are my questions:

1. Is using Sanstar really that bad?
2. If using Potassium Metabisulfites what is the concentration mixture? I read online 1/4 oz for 1 gallon, but the "wine expert" told me 2 oz per gallon?

3. Off topic, but can I ferment 2 gallons of wine in a 5 gallon primary fermenter without issue? I didn't know if it was adversely affect the wine or not?

Thanks everyone. I look forward to your insight.

I'll let you know in a few weeks. I used StarSan and it certainly fermented out no problem. You add more metabisulfite and sorbate to stabilize prior to clearing. So, I'm not sure if the amount in the StarSan makes any difference. Its use in wine making seems pretty common. My wine is clearing rather slowly. It technically should be clear by this Sunday. All the large stuff dropped out, but it's still not crystal clear. I did, however, have a heck of a time degassing it. I used a mix stir. When that didn't do it, I hand stirred it until my arm got tired and it was better, but still not 100% degassed. I ended up adding the clarifier, but it seems like there may still be a small amount of CO2 coming out. I may have to let it sit an extra week or two and, if that doesn't do it, hit it with a different fining agent.

1 campden tablet is equal to .55 grams of Potassium Metabisulfite, which is good for 75ppm So2 in one gallon wine, this is the level that I use to sanitize my must at the beginning of the wine making process before pitching yeast.

2 oz per gallon sounds like a solution for sanitizing equipment and is about right, I think Jack Kellers website recommends 1 1/2 tablespoons per gallon for washing equipment and 2oz. to one quart for serilization (not sanitization!)

As far as using san star to sanitize your equipment... I do it every batch and my wine comes out tasting as good or better than commercial wine and clear as can be. Just remember "expert advise" is not always expert advise.

... And yes you can ferment 2 gallons of wine in a 5 gallon carboy, just get it moved and topped up in the proper sized container(s) once fermentation is complete.

So I had a weird experience today at Midwest Supplies. I live right outside of Minneapolis so I thought I would go to their showroom and pick up some stuff. I just started my first wine and had a couple questions.

So after shopping for a bit I was talking to their "wine expert" (nice older lady who seemed very knowledgeable) and she said you should never use SanStar as a sanitizer for wine making. She said she has talked with the CEO of SanStar himself (who also makes his own wine) and he also has stated he used Potassium Metabisulfites and you should not use SanStar. She said using it can cause weird tastes and effects the clearing of the wine. This just seems so off to me because it seems like sooo many people on here use it?

So here are my questions:

1. Is using Sanstar really that bad?
2. If using Potassium Metabisulfites what is the concentration mixture? I read online 1/4 oz for 1 gallon, but the "wine expert" told me 2 oz per gallon?

3. Off topic, but can I ferment 2 gallons of wine in a 5 gallon primary fermenter without issue? I didn't know if it was adversely affect the wine or not?

Thanks everyone. I look forward to your insight.

1. No. You can use star-san if you want.
2. It's been a long time since I've used k-meta for sanitizing, but 2 ounces per gallon seems right.
3. Yes. It'll be fine in a large primary. When you rack to secondary, though, you'll need two one-gallon jugs as I've never seen a two gallon carboy.

I figured it would be fine. I even said "I've read its fine & their website said no odor & it was tasteless" that was when she pulled the "I talked to the CEO" stuff.
Yea i will probably just end up making 3 gallon batches to avoid separate containers.
Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back