Midwest Supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my bags of malt today after my brother picked it up at the store and drove it 9 hours back to ND. The crush includes at least 50% whole grains.

Waiting on a response from Midwest, guess I won't be brewing this week.

Midwest made it right so far. As long as my new mill shows up on Friday all will be right in the world.

lol they gave you a mill? That's an epic way to resolve that. Pretty awesome.

They didn't just give me a mill. But I got some nice credit to use towards a mill. Still worked out to be pretty epic for me. Since I need 65 pounds of base malt for this weekend...so shipping two replacement bags or credit for a mill, hard decision for me...not!

I'm hoping to hear back from them about a faulty regulator that I got from them. Thought I might have heard something today, but nope. Maybe tomorrow...

Unfortunately this kind of stuff seems to happen to every business once in a while. Sometimes its a software problem, or a rouge employee. So, not sure how your comment will protect you. But, at least they fessed up.

Purchase: March 1st
HBT thread suggesting credit card breach: early July
July-August - much denial by MW
Early september - I get new credit cards from my CC company due to breach notification.
Day later - Midwest letter arrives notifying me that they did have a breach....

6 months after my credit information was compromised, midwest "addressed the situation as soon as possible."

....yeah..... they "fessed up". Pathetic. There are A LOT of great homebrew shops out there people. They can all be hacked. But FEW would respond to it as poorly as midwest did. Shop somewhere else.

I got a letter in the mail from MW yesterday telling me my credit card may have been compromised..........lol........When I get time I'll have to check my statements to see if anything suspicious is on it.

My last order was on 5-31. My card was never affected, but I was wondering who they sent the letters out to? It seems there were people who ordered before and after me who had issues. I don't plan to order from them anymore because they can't correctly fulfill an order to save their lives, but I'd place one more order if I had a $25 card from them. I'm still hopeful.

They didn't just give me a mill. But I got some nice credit to use towards a mill. Still worked out to be pretty epic for me. Since I need 65 pounds of base malt for this weekend...so shipping two replacement bags or credit for a mill, hard decision for me...not!

Midwest made it right. Upgraded my shipping to make sure my mill showed up to brew this weekend. Thankfully I will get it brewed for my comp in early October.

I will remain a customer, however I usually purchase stuff at the retail store in MPLS when I am in the area.

Thanks to Brent in Retail and Lyndsey in Phone Support for making it happen.

n240sxguy said:
My last order was on 5-31. My card was never affected, but I was wondering who they sent the letters out to? It seems there were people who ordered before and after me who had issues. I don't plan to order from them anymore because they can't correctly fulfill an order to save their lives, but I'd place one more order if I had a $25 card from them. I'm still hopeful.

I got the credit card letter and $25 buy off as well. My order was in April. Of course this happens after all of the other problems I have had with them... Still, I decided to give the $25 credit a shot and filled my cart with some draft cleaning stuff. Total came to $24.93 with shipping. Showed zero balanced owed. The online system would not let me place an order however. It said it wanted payment info but when I tried to enter it, the credit card block was gone because there was zero balance due. Was this a ploy to get me to spend more money than I had originally intended, which was nothing?

Got an email yesterday from MWS stating that they were shipping me a new regulator to replace the faulty one. So, hopefully they'll make good on it and ill recieve it quickly! I've yet to get a letter or $25 gift card for the CC debacle, and our CC was compromised...

thatjonguy said:
Buy an extra shank washer for $0.50...

I was going to go the Muslin bag route but thanks for the tip! I'll see how that works and report back!

I was going to go the Muslin bag route but thanks for the tip! I'll see how that works and report back!

What ever is cheap and you can use. I only said washer because you said you were getting some draft cleaning stuff. I inspect and change if necessary.

To be completely fair to Midwest Supplies, I emailed them with my concerns and they offered their apologies as well as a gift towards a future purchase. I would say that is high marks in the customer service department, for sure.

I will add another follow up to my troubles with them.

They gave me a $25 gift certificate toward another purchase, so I gave them another try. Ordered on Tuesday morning, Eastern time, and as of Friday evening my order was just being prepped to ship out. So it will sit in a shipping hub for the weekend and I had planned to brew.

I'm done. Never again. Too many problems and WAY, WAY too many other choices out there for supplies.

Order placed on Aug 21, about $250 of stuff. My cc was charged.

Received 'we're sorry' email on Aug 24 that a few of the items we're not in stock.

To my knowledge it still hasn't shipped. I sent customer service an email yesterday, waiting for reply.

Well, I got the credit card notice from my bank as well as the letter from Midwest with the 25$ coupon.

I ordered a bunch of yeast, ice packs etc late Thursday 9/5. I kept checking the status of the order...processing all the way through Tuesday night 9/10.
I fired off an email to them asking what the deal was, that this was yeast and it wouldn't make it by the weekend.
I got a tracking info notification from UPS on Wednesday and a response from Midwest on Friday saying it would be delivered that day.
It got delivered, I was very happy. Usually with FedEx it would be 4-5 days. Midwest also upgraded the packaging of the yeast by throwing in an extra ice pack and an extra thermal pouch! So, I'm a happy customer.

Got this email today.

"I am very sorry to hear about the continuing errors for your orders. There was a glitch in our ordering system that did not let our packers know to add ice until after quality control steps. This has since been resolved and should not be an issue anymore. Your business is valuable to us and we are disappointed to have failed you. I have transferred 1600 points towards your rewards account which should be good for a $40 discount on your next order. Again, my deepest apologies. I hope your brewing is fortuitous."

I'm pretty satisfied with their solution. I will be nervous ordering liquid yeast from them in the future though.

Midwest has always made things right when I let them know about small issues (as they should) but they usually offer more than what a replacement would be to make up for the inconvenience. Once they get their shipping figured out, I will continue to order from them.

Although I wished they offered hops by the pound. I have to take that elsewhere.

I'd like to put in a good word for Midwest. I know they've had some issues, but they've always done right by me.

Let me give an example...I wanted to upgrade from plastic buckets to glass carboys. So I ordered a 5 gallon and 6.5 gallon glass carboy, along with some other items. Got a great deal from Midwest. Ordered them online Saturday, and paid a competitive price and very reasonable shipping.

I got my order today (Thursday) less than 4 business days later. And I live in south Florida, so it was shipped from Minnesota to Florida. My order was complete, well packed, and not a scratch on any of the glass. And these are some big $#@ carboys.

I don't work for Midwest. I've just been very pleased with the service they've delivered over the years. I'm also a big fan of the easy to understand directions that come with their kits

I made an order on 9/27 and the order shipped on 10/2. 5 days order to shipping. Not awful, but not great.

With some trepidation, I placed an order with them last Sunday. As of Friday night, the status remained "Processing." For a reasonably sized order of common ingredients, I don't consider that anywhere near acceptable.

They were responsive when I requested cancellation, at least.

Not sure what's going on, I'd been mostly happy with them in the past. They'd had what I'd consider an abnormally high number of errors, but they'd been small, and had generally handled them well enough. I don't think I'll be returning, though. If I have to plan more than a week ahead for weekend brewing, that's not gonna work for me.

I've never had a problem with them. I placed an order a week ago last Friday very late afternoon, shipped Tues. It was an order for 16 items, large and small. It arrived in total.

I just had an order with them about 2 weeks ago. I ordered one partial mash kit, a Boston red Ale but received the Mild Brown Ale kit in error. The invoice and packing slip were right, just a packing error. I chatted with them via their online live chat service and got it straightened out. They sent the proper kit and let me keep on one they sent in error. I got two good kits for the price of one and they made it right as soon as they were made aware of the problem. I'll order from them again. Mistakes happen, they made it right. All good in my book.

I have made multiple orders from MW, and I never had a problem. I really enjoy the services from them and will continue to do business with them.

I have used Midwest in the past and will continue to use Midwest in the future. I find their shipping times reasonable for the amount I am paying, which is the lowest possible cost to me. I do understand that I can pay more shipping costs to have the product arrive sooner to my door. I cannot complain about how long something takes when I personally choose the lowest cost possible to get it from there to here. Taking longer to get to my door is expected when I choose to pay for the cheapest option possible. I would feel different if was paying for overnight delivery and the delivery didn't happen overnight.

Just a postscript to my earlier post: As I said, the cancellation went smoothly. It both showed as a refund in my order history and as an actual refund to my credit card. That is good news, of course. Oddly enough, however, the canceled shipment arrived yesterday (alongside the replacement order I'd placed elsewhere).

I emailed to let them know and was told to keep the batch "on them." So, as seems to be the running theme, they handled the situation well.

Just wanted to share my latest experience with Midwest.

I bought a recipe kit from Midwest through Amazon (had a gift card to burn) and it arrived quickly, within 3 or 4 days. I opened it up a few days before brew day, which is when I realized they left out the yeast.

Well, the plan was that I would brew the kit at a friend's place that weekend and let him keep the batch as a birthday gift and to teach him how to brew at the same time since he wants to get started brewing.

So a few emails and calls later, they said that they would expedite a pack of yeast to me ASAP. Brew day came and went with no yeast so we had to run to the local overpriced shop.

Ended up being kind of a pain/letdown. This is only the second time I've ordered from them. The kit was fine otherwise. Not sure when or if the yeast will actually show up.

Did you check the P.O.? I ordered yeast last week and it arrived in 2 days USPS Priority Mail.

Nope, didn't have time before brew day. I'm in no hurry for it now, so I'll give it a couple more days.

I made 3 purchase from midwest, they only got 1 of them right, its just easier to order from anywhere else that can get a order right the first time.

Also I don't like they have had been hacked and so many peoples information is now being used.

Cheers :mug:

As a follow up to my original post, I received an envelope yesterday which contained two packs of yeast. That's a help, because now I have yeast for my next two batches since I wasn't planning on ordering kits for the time being.

So I have read alot of positive things about MW but I'm currently having an issue. On Oct 16th they sent out a mass email with a promotion for chugger pumps. Order a pump and get a free brix refractometer. Since i was actually in the market for a pump I placed an order within 2 hours of receiving the email along with some other items. All the other items arrived within a week as expected, but no pump. The packing list showed the pump on backorder (first I had heard). Most sites will inform you at order if an item is BO, but not MW. i even received an order confirmation, no mention of BO and a notice it shipped (no mention of BO). I called to check on the item and was told a shipment was expected at MW on Nov 6. I waited a few days after the 6th then called to check on pump because they have no way of notifying you when a BO item ships. I was told they didn't get the shipment but expects one on Nov 20th.......we'll see. Keep in mind they have my $ and have since Oct 16th! I'm being patient but obviously not very satisfied.....stay tuned

Back