Midwest Grand Cru Extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMAK

Reaction score
This is going to be my next extract brew. Is this a beer that benefits from being racked to a secondary, or should I just keep it in a primary?

Anyone brewed this kit? Opinions?

I've never brewed that one, but I go to Midwest from time to time. I checked out the beer in question, and personally I wouldn't bother with a secondary. With that being said, I rarely ever do a secondary anymore. I'd let it finish primary than go to bottle or keg, whichever you do. Sounds like this one might do good with a couple months of age, so test it out along the way and see how it progresses.

Grande cru is a big beer. How long do you plan to let it go before you bottle or keg? When I age a beer I'd rack it after a month or six weeks.

I was planning on letting it go one month in primary then bottling.

I found this beer to be a little thin. It really needed more base malt. I do not think that 7 lbs was enough being that the whole grain bill is only 7.5 lbs. Perhaps 10 lbs of pilsner. Though I did brew the all grain version, maybe the extract is different.

Back