MFL Threads And Regulators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pi Kapp Beer Guy

Reaction score
So I got the big paycheck for working over fifty hours for two consecutive weeks. KEEZER TIME:ban:

So as i am about to place orders i figured why not run a few questions by the board.

1. What is better in your guys oppinions; Barbed fittings or MFL fittings?
I was thinking about the barbed. I have experience with those little bastard clamps and figured it would be easier than all that teflon tape, not to mention if and when i need to change out lines.

2. Regulators: All equipment is running me about $475. (Damn 20# CO2 tank. But we dont have any place near 20 minutes to fill a tank so i figure its worth it) I am getting most of my stuff from Northern Brewer. Their single regulator is $70.99. Brew gadgets has one for $47.99. Anyone know why there may be a price difference.

NORTHERN BREWER: Regulators and Gas Cylinders

Wine making supplies home brew beer supplies for the homebrewer

3. If i do go with the Barbed fittings: Northern Brewer only carries disconnects with 1/4 Fittings. I am using 3/16 Tubing, would i be able to soak the lines in hot water in order to make them fit the 1/4 barbed fittings?

Thanks for all your help. All i want to do is come home from a hard stressful day at work and drink my own cold draft beer. :rockin:

The MFL doesn't require teflon tape, there's a rubber gasket built in to the male side on the disconnect. The only problem with them is that they carry the added cost of the barbed/nut end. The bonus is that it's easier to disconnect the QD from the line to take apart and soak in sanitizer every once in a while. Also, it makes it easy to swap in a pinlock or Sanke setup for a guest beer.

1/4" barbs are perfect for 3/16" line. It stretches enough to slip on.

$75 is a lot for a regulator. Micromatic has a premium one for $53 Beer Regulator - Double Gauge - CO2 Primary - Premium Series

As stated, the 1/4 barbs and 3/16 line is perfect! You will need to soak the end of the line in hot/boiling water for about 30 seconds, but it makes a nice tight fit :) I don't even use clamps on mine (was hesitant at first but have been using for months with none).

the 1/4" barb will fit snug with the 3/16th line. I don't use hose clamps either.

You should be able to pick up a primary regulator for under $30. I picked a nice dual cornelius dual regulator on eBay for under $30 total ( including shipping).

As far as the CO2 tank. Check craigslist. You can also post a wanted add, might come across someone that has one laying around for pretty cheap.

This is the beer line I use:

From McMasterCarr.com - Item # 5231K159 $0.18 per foot. $9.00 for 50 ft.

The CO2 lines I got from Midwest Supply.

Something similar would be Item # 5231K345, which is clear. $0.35 per foot (appears to be a 25ft minimum). $8.75 for 25 ft.

1) MFL, as Bobby stated easier , more convenient, more options (such as transferring from keg to keg without buying extra fittings) albeit more expensive by the nut end.
2) I've never had a problem with the cheapest reg I could find. Note: when comparing prices remember some include all the fittings needed and some don't, which could make the cheap one the most expensive.
3) You will go with barbed whether its nut ends or barbed bev and gas connects. Yes 3/16 is the way to go for the line. It takes a bit of work but it will fit and no clamps required.

Side note: Many will flame me on this but, Lowes reinforced 1/4" vynil tubing makes great gas line, as does Lowes thick walled 3/16" non reinforced vynil tubing for the beer line. Dont use the thin walled icemaker line, it will burst sooner or later.

Awsome Suggestions! i decided to go barbed. I'm sure if it dose not all go well or expected you should hear some cussing by the weeks end

Back