Methods for Removing Oxiclean Residue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwbrewing32

Reaction score
Okay everyone, I know there's info out there on this but - I have tried hot water, a soak for two days in StarSan and nothing. This **** won't come off!

I've read that some have tried pure vinegar or even CLR. Thoughts on those?? I am just irritated when I see a nice 5 gallon carboy that I basically can't use because of Oxiclean residue.

Help!

How did it get on there in the first place? I hate to say it, but you may need to try more oxyclean. Not a super heavy solution, but something like 1 or 2 tablespoons in 5 gallons. Leave for an hour, and then rinse with hot water. The only time I had an issue with a residue was when I left the oxyclean for, like, two days, and this fixed it right up. One difference, however, was that this was a bucket, not a carboy

I believe it's from sitting too long in there (days). I can give it another short try with it and a more dilute batch.

And you're sure it's not from hard water or other deposits?

I'd give it another soak in oxyclean. Any residue I've had after using oxyclean washed off with clean water, and I usually leave the carboys full and upside down for a couple days... 'cus I'm lazy.

Have you tried more oxyclean, but HOT and a scrub brush? That should do it for you. Also, keeping your soaking stuff out of sunlight helps prevent this, as does not allowing it to soak for dayzzzzz.

i have ended up with residue in mine at times. usually after leaving it set for days. i have had good luck with using white vinegar and shaking it. use a brush if needed but the vinegar usually dissolves the residue.

Okay well I did an hour with hot oxiclean solution and no luck. Now I have in vinegar and water.... Maybe CLR is the way to do.

Okay everyone, I know there's info out there on this but - I have tried hot water, a soak for two days in StarSan and nothing. This **** won't come off!

I've read that some have tried pure vinegar or even CLR. Thoughts on those?? I am just irritated when I see a nice 5 gallon carboy that I basically can't use because of Oxiclean residue.

Help!

I've never used oxiclean. I always use B-Brite. 1Tbsp/gal of hot water. I've on occasion left it overnight but most often only for an hour or so. I've never had any residue.
So, with that in mind you might soak w/ B-Brite per the above.
Obviously, rinse well afterwards w/ hot water.

do you have a picture of the residue? I've never had anything but a clean rinse with oxyclean even with cold water, so I'm having a hard time visualizing what this looks like

I do not have a picture that will show it very well, but! I noticed after my diluted vinegar experiment, the bottom half was substantially better then the top half.

So my next move is to load this thing up with pure white vinegar, let it soak for a few hours and see what happens. I refuse to believe that this crap cannot be removed!

Try some Oxyclean in bottled spring water. My tap water must be very good for Oxyclean because it lasts forever, never goes cloudy and does not leave a residue no matter how long I leave it......

I have a build up of scum or sprinkles of the oxyclean when I left bottle to soak for a couple of weeks to remove labels but I also added Idofor to it and it seems to be more or less permanent. The bottles are ugly but the beer in them taste fine. My bet is the carboy is fine also. To try out my theory put tap water in the carboy and let it sit for 2 weeks and see if you taste the soap.:mug:

Barkeeper's Friend might do it (the gel version on a washcloth or something similarly soft and non-scratching.) BKF has Oxalic acid in it, so definitely wear gloves!

Edit: They also have a version that is safe for pyrex and other glass surfaces. It has citric acid in it. You could also try a strong citric acid bath. You can buy citric acid powder various places. Amazon has a couple 2# bags for $11. Mix that with 5 gallons of hot water and I'd bet you the residue will come off. :)

I use lemi-shine every couple of brews on my glass carboys. Cleans off the hard water film i get after soaking the gunk off with oxyclean.

I just now dumped the oxiclean out of my keg after a soak for 2 days, no issue there. I didn't know it was an issue until I saw this thread after I dumped it.

Another suggestion. Rinse well, and circulate with citric acid. I keep a spray bottle with citric around for odd jobs. Never know it was either disappear or at least be able to wipe off.

I have had the same issue in the past. The film pretty much wipes right off, but hard to get it off from the inside of a plastic carboy without scratching a little, and we all know that's not good. It seems that hard water is the culprit here. PBW will not leave the residue, but cost is greatly increased. You can use distilled water, but logistics are an issue.
I chucked all of my plastic stuff and switched to stainless conicals and glass carboys. Now I just scrub it off.

Vinegar is working actually. How long can I leave this in the carboy? What 2 to 3 days be OK? Thanks again for all your help everyone

Whenever I soak bottles in oxyclean I get a white mineral buildup.......I follow up with a couple days in a white vinegar and water soak....I try not to soak either for too long but life always interferes

I would try PBW (use hot water) and some physical scrubbing and a vigorous rinse.

This is why I decided the savings in Oxyclean Vs PBW is not worth the headaches. PBW is the right tool for the job and worth the added expense. Oxygen goes in my washer, PBW goes in the brewery.

I would try PBW (use hot water) and some physical scrubbing and a vigorous rinse.

This is why I decided the savings in Oxyclean Vs PBW is not worth the headaches. PBW is the right tool for the job and worth the added expense. Oxygen goes in my washer, PBW goes in the brewery.

With hard water ( mine anyway) PBW leaves the mineral deposits too.... For me, not worth the extra cost for soaking bottles.

Easy:

hot Water+Elbow Grease with appropriate brush+dry it on it's side

:mug:

7616.jpg

PS

I'm a big fan of PBW. Worth EVERY penny. I cry when I get the bill, but never cry when it performs and I get great beer....

Whenever I soak bottles in oxyclean I get a white mineral buildup.......I follow up with a couple days in a white vinegar and water soak....I try not to soak either for too long but life always interferes

In your vinegar and water soak, how much vinegar and how much water?

I use about a quart of vinegar to a 5 gallon bucket. .....I keep a gallon jug of plain white vinegar (5℅acid) on hand. For bottles I fill one bottle, then pour a little from it into the other bottles I am cleaning, then fill my 5 gallon bucket with enough water to cover the bottles (so they are upright and submerged) then add a bit more vinegar...it usualy works prety well overnight but I have kept them there for up to a week or so....then I rinse well and let them drip dry.....silly as it seems, I just taste the water after it is mixed up...if it has an acidic bite it is good to go.

I've found an extended soak with Oxi will leave a mineral deposit. I can usually get rid of it with a good soak in acid. I've used a strong starsan solution, and I've used acid 5 diluted. I've even used a bit of hydrochloric acid, diluted (doesn't take much).

The fastest way to get rid of it was to make a small amount of acid rinse and then hit that carboy with a drill powered flapper bottle washer. It has soft fabric arms that fly out and wipe the inside of the carboy. Generally I don't even soak my carboys in Oxi anymore because I can use that bottle "brush" and be done and drip drying the carboy in under 5 minutes.

@ the people that get oxiclean film, how much oxiclean do you use in a 5gal carboy?

I use an amount that is maybe 1/10 of the oxiclean scoop to soak my buckets and carboys and get good results(krausen ring gone overnight) without any film.

I left Oxyclean and water in a keg for a few days once and the result was an awful residue. Citric acid took it right off.

Not sure it's the water. Nothing else has had this happen and I have 5 carboys total

Just search on amazon for citric acid. You will find several choices

Agreed!!!!

Back