Method of measuring F.G. from primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85 Haro Designs

Reaction score
If I extract a sample from primary (using a wine theif) to measure my SG, do you need to mix the contents at all first or is it a fairly homogenous mixture without much stratifying?

I'll be needing to check my IPA in a few days and I want to get an accurate reading from my hydrometer.

No need to stir- the beer is the same throughout. Once fermentation starts up, it gets all churned up and the yeast are all through it. By the time it's done, the yeast start falling to the bottom, leaving nice clear beer at the top. Don't forget to take the sg sample, then drink the beer from the sample! It's amazing how it'll taste good- but still get better after secondary, and after carbing up. That's my favorite part of the brewing process- all the samples!

Sweet, are you kidding me?

I'm so amped about tasting it I might have to start drinking my beer from a graduated cylinder just to replicate the excitement again!

Thanks for your fast answer!

I did my first brew in a plastic primary and found it super hard and annoying to open it to get samples to test gravity. I felt paranoid that i was going to cause a splash and get oxygen mixed in.

My second brew that I did yesterday, I placed into a glass carboy. It already looks like it will be easier to get my samples. I plan on using my auto siphon to quickly grab a sample and immediately place the stopper and airlock back on.

Anyone else out there use an auto siphon when grabbing samples?

Yeah, I use my autosiphon for samples. Just be careful not to let the beer in that little chamber fall out, it's a mess.

Latest posts

Back