Metallic Off-flavors & Steeping Ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjashing

Reaction score
Good Evening Chaps,

Friends and I have been brewing several extract batches and find we are getting a very similar taste in all of our beers. Trying to pin-point the taste and we think it’s like a metallically taste and/or a grassy after taste. Researching some issues that could be causing this is excess tannin extraction during the steeping process, the type of brew kettle used, etc.

I have not found a consistent steeping volume/grain ratio for extract brewers for a full boil. When we first starting brewing we took advice from John Palmers book and used a steeping ratio of 1gal/lb. We usually steep 1lb crystal malt in 1 gal water for 30 min at around 67 deg C. I’m not concerned about the time steeped or temp steeped at as I’m confident there within the limits, it is more the steeping ratio. I’m not sure if our steeping ratio is too low which is causing our off flavors.

We’re looking at changing our steeping process before moving to a stainless steel brew kettle (in case our aluminium brew kettle is the issue, as aluminium kettles are susceptible to providing metallic flavors for high alkaline water – our water has a med-high alkalinity content). Also, not sure if our water content which contains a high alkalinity content (112ppm as CaCO3) is the cause of tannin extraction for crystal malts.

Just looking for some feedback on the steeping process and any other general recommendations.

Thanks Home Brewers!

Back