Metalic taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adavis1989

Reaction score
So I've brewed three beers now, one all grain , one partial extract , one double mr beer extract. I keep getting a metalic taste. My water is fine , I've brewed in the past with tap and it was fine . The only the ghat has changed in these last three brews is a new brew kettle. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00420Z50Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
That's what I'm using , is stainless steel though so it doesn't make sense. What could be causing this taste ? I've brewed one batch recently of extract on the stove In a regular pot with good results , just got done with a brew using this kettle and its metalic tasting . This pot is the only common link. Ideas? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like chlorine/chloromine issue with in your water. Might try a Pur brand faucet or go with Camden tablets.

Can you tell us what temp you fermented with? Type of yeast?

Don't think it's water , I've done a dozen brews before with the tap water with no bad results. I brewed two of the last three with nautinghams yeast and 1 with the generic mr beer yeast. Pitched one of then at 70, one At 72 and one at 79, all fermented in a regulated chamber at 68f.

I went to do a small extract kit today on the stove in a different pot and used ultra hops , which was used in the last three metalic tasting ones, and the wort had the same
Metalic taste , are maybe the citra hops the culprit?

Back