messed up recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewyourown4life

Reaction score
brewed a blonde ale a month ago and i was suppose to add 8 lbs of malt extract and i dumped all 9.15 pounds in to the boil pot.must of had a few to many before hand, any whoo, tried a bottle today and it turned out great. better then the times i brewed it before. it's what i'm calling a happy mistake

Whenever I go to the LHBS, I always ask for an extra pound of extract. That way I'm not as worried about getting every drop out of the container. I also like to start with more than 5 gallons in my primary so I end up with at least 5 gallons in the end. My OG is usually pretty close or just a little higher than what the recipe calls for. Did you take an OG to compare with the expected OG?

That way I'm not as worried about getting every drop out of the container.

What I do is put the extract container in the pot with the hot water. Swish it around a bit and when you pull it out ALL the extract will have dissolved off the container. Works great!

+1 on having more then 5 gallons in the fermenter. You will loose some to trub, yeast, hops and racking. I shoot for getting 5.5 gallons to make a full 5 gal corny keg of finished beer.

ok, so i ran the numbers through beer tools pro and here is what i got

6.5 gal boil
1 hour boil
5.5 gal
o.g. 1.060
f.g 1.015
5.92 abv
bitterness 17.0

Back