messed up mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righlander

Reaction score
so im doing my 2nd AG and this is what happened. i had my mash at 151 for an hour and a half (went longer than i intended due to me not having the sparge water up to temp in time). so then i got confused and tried getting the mash up to 170 for a mash out. ok i got it up to 171 then i got scared and poured in some cold water. of course i put in too much water and the mash went back down to 151. so THEN i did a vorlauf or however its spelled, when it ran clear i drained in to the brew kettle. so then with the remaining sparge water i could only get the mash up to 161. so i guess im just going to let it sit for another 10 mins, vorlauf, then start the boil. is this a huge issue or no big deal? :(

no. let it do its' thing, and then boil. i try to get sparge water to the right temp, but i'm not so worried about it, since i brew for me, not competitions. and by the way, a couple of times, i've mashed for several hours if i got caught up in something, as long as i thought the mash tun would hold temps

****, that's better temp control than half of mine and my beers turn out fine :tank:

IN all seriousness though I've had a couple of mashes way off, and it seems like you were in the right temp range for long enough to make what needed to happen happen -- essentially if you're in the 146-162F range for 30 minutes or more, chances are that everything will turn out pretty good. Now, it might be a bit sweeter or drier or have different mouthfeel than expected, but it'll work.

Heating your sparge water is mostly to help it dissolve the sugars and get it out of the mash. With cold water, it takes longer to dissolve the sugar and sometimes the thicker mix wants to stick in the mash. If you get it too hot though it can dissolve more things than you want.

Latest posts

Back