Messed Up Mash Temp!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtupper

Reaction score
Just finished getting the mash temp fixed as I missed by at least 20 degrees. Had to thin out the mash and do some emergency decoctions. but know were at a 153 for my new german/american fusion lager. Hope everything turns out as I am running about a 1.85qt/lb grist ratio.

if anyone has any comments or tips to make this beer turn out expected that would be great. Even words of encouragement would be helpfull as this has been a very stressfull start to a very long brew night! :mad::confused::mad:

how long was the mash temp low? you definitely didnt ruin the brew or anything, it'll just have less body & be more fermentable than intended

1.85 qt/lb is fine. I brewed a rauchbier today. I used 2.00 qt/lb and got 94% efficiency (I didn't believe it either, ran the numbers 3 times...) with my RIMS setup. In the past I've used 1.5 and usually turn out about 84%. I made some other changes, though, so the mash thickness isn't completely to blame, but it couldn't have hurt much. Anyway, as long as you got your temp right in a semi-reasonable amount of time you're fine.

Also, being low on temp isn't a killer. The first brew I did on my RIMS started at 128 F, then I ramped it up to 152 over about 15 mins. That one turned out as one of the finest examples of my RPA to date.

What I'm really trying to say is that you just brewed beer, life is good!

My original gravity ended up being just a few points low. It was a 1.043 out of the kettle. We were shooting for a 1.046 but no harm done. It started at 120 and it took me about an hour to get to about 151 which is low but I figured it was close enough after the last hour of hell. The recipe is a simple lager as follows:

7.5lbs American 2-Row
1.25lbs Vienna (ordered 1# but got some extra. I'm not complaining!)

1.25 hallertau @ 60
.25 hallertau @ 30
.25 hallertau @ 15

super Irish moss @ 15
WYeast Nutrient @ 10
5.2 Stabilizer @ Mash

*the best news of the day came at the end of it. My new IC worked like a charm. We went from boiling to 58F in approx 15min. It probably helped that the temp outside was like 15F but still best money I ever spent!

Glad to hear it worked out ok. I would personally be more concerned with what caused the temperature to be off by 20 degrees, and make sure that gets fixed before the next brew day. Are you using software to calculate your strike temperatures or doing the calculations yourself? Are you preheating your mash tun?

eff the 5.2, read the how to brew water and ph stuff. learn to use ur equip such as a cheap thermometer if you dont have a thermapen, know ur mash tun or follow bobby m plan on how to heat mashtun. I didnt read every detail in post but you risk a chill haze from unconverted sugars if you did not increase mash time at temps that low.

The words of encouragment ill give is that even if u did mess up u will have another chance and ssiit as long as its got alcohol it will be drank.

eff the 5.2, read the how to brew water and ph stuff. learn to use ur equip such as a cheap thermometer if you dont have a thermapen, know ur mash tun or follow bobby m plan on how to heat mashtun. I didnt read every detail in post but you risk a chill haze from unconverted sugars if you did not increase mash time at temps that low.

The words of encouragment ill give is that even if u did mess up u will have another chance and ssiit as long as its got alcohol it will be drank.

whats wrong with the 5.2 buffer. ive read nothing but good things about it so far. I plan on doing AG my next batch and am just wondering

Back